Involving Children In Preparing For Meal Times

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.

Involving Children In Preparing For Meal Times

Post by 1990 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:05 pm

We are looking to get children more involved during meal times. How do you involve children in preparing for meal times and during meal times? Do they help set the table? We usually serve children but have been discussing having food laid out on the table for children to serve themselves. I just need some ideas to try!

Thanks!

mummyto3
Helper
Helper

Re: health and safety question

Post by mummyto3 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:17 pm

children are to wash hands to prepare for mealtimes.
at one of the centres I worked at we allowed two children per meal time to help pass out plastic plates, cups or bowls whichever we were using that day.
at fruit time with our kindy children the children are given plastic tongs and allowed to select their own fruits.
some days at kindy or with after school hours care we have had make your own pizza day where we allowed the children to have a English muffin as the base with pizza sauce on it the children are then given the opportunity to select cheese and a range of other toppings such as onion, capsicum, tomato etc to make a delicious healthy treat.
also we have a large tub that children in aged in the pre-kindy room and kindy room are able to place their bowl or plate in once they have finished at meal times.

Post by 1990 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanku so much

mummyto3
Helper
Helper

Post by mummyto3 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:19 pm

No problem glad i could help