Factors that enhance and inhibit human development

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Bekster76

Factors that enhance and inhibit human development

Post by Bekster76 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCHILD401A- Provide a healthy and safe environment
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
What 3 factors enhance human development and name another 3 that inhibit human development?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
ENHANCE:
- Social: a loving nuturing family, positive environment
- Health: healthy food and nutrition
- Education

INHIBIT:
- Biological: genetics, disability, illness
- Culture
- Child abuse

Description and Message:
Hi,

I've been going over and over this question and just a little unsure if I am on the right track. It's such a general question and could be so easily answered as air, food, water...obviously I realise the question requires a little more imagination than that. Any suggestions? Or am I on the right track?

Thanks!

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: Factors that enhance and inhibit human development

Post by LindyT » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:18 am

Hi
Can you expand on each of the points as to why you feel they are relevant?

Bekster76

Re: Factors that enhance and inhibit human development

Post by Bekster76 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:07 pm

Hmmmm you have really made me think about this....

Social - positive interactions and loving, caring, nuturing relationships growing up is the foundation of how we can successfully maintain relationships with others.
Health - mental health and nutrition enhance HD by providing the growing body and brain development with strength and energy and provide resilience to obstacles and better coping mechanisms
Education - a consistent, stable and supportive education can enhance HD by providing knowledge and confidence that can be used throughout working and personal life commitments

Biological - a vulnerability and society attitudes towards ill or disabled individuals may inhibit HD
Culture - we learn the values and traditions of religion, cultural beliefs etc through role models, practices and beliefs and what is acceptable in society. Negative cultural experiences can inhibit an individuals sense of self, their identity
Child abuse - individuals subjected to any form of child abuse can inhibit HD through pyschological, physical and behavioural problems such as shame in physical appearance due to scarring, no confidence (low self esteem), poor communication skills in personal and work relationships, violence

Even though I've expanded like you asked I still feel very conflicted in my answers. What can enhance can inhibit and vice versa. In summary it really depends on the life skills that you give a child on how they deal with challenges in their development. Maybe that is the answer? Who knows!

I'm not looking for "the answer", I just want to know if I'm on the right track.