CHCIC301E - Scenario: Connor and Kooya

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Karadavidson1983

CHCIC301E - Scenario: Connor and Kooya

Post by Karadavidson1983 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCIC301E interacting effectively with children
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Connor (4) joins in to play in the kitchen, but is told by Kooya "get out of there, boys don't cook" you know that Kooyas culture it is considered women's work to cook. How will you respond to this to assist the children to respect similarities and differences in terms of race and gender.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Hi there, ive been stuck looking at this one for ages, So far I have mentioned that just like in our child care there are men and women carers, at restaurants there are both men and women that can cook. And in Connors family his dad likes to cook his dinner sometimes. I would then show her a book on cooking and show her pictures of both men and women cooking.

I just don't know how to bring the cultural part into it? And is there more I need to mention? Help would be greatly appreciated!! Xx

Description and Message:
Last edited by Lorina on Sun May 19, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Interacting effectively with children

Post by Lorina » Thu May 16, 2013 11:58 pm

The strategies you have suggested are good. For culture, add posters in the room of men and women participating in cultural activities. The explanation you had given will also assist the children to gain a better understanding of similarities and differences. Also, you don't need to stop just at cooking. You can show a wide variety of different activities that men and women participate in.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Karadavidson1983

Re: CHCIC301E - Scenario: Connor and Kooya

Post by Karadavidson1983 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:59 pm

Thank you, that helps greatly!
Very much appreciated!