CHCCS400C - Scenario: Michael - Duty Of Care, Preventing Injury & Responsibility

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jpp1

CHCCS400C - Scenario: Michael - Duty Of Care, Preventing Injury & Responsibility

Post by jpp1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:08 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: cluster 2 legislation CHCCS400C
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
1.Did Michael owe a duty of care to the injured child Yes/No?
.2.Did Michael take whatever degree of care was reasonable in the situation? Yes/No

3.Could the injury to the child have been prevented? Yes/No
Yes

4. Could a clear link be established between three factors above? Yes/No
To demonstrate your knowledge of this area state what changes could be made to avoid staff missing the safety check in future?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Answers.
1Did Michael owe a duty of care to the injured child Yes/No?

YES

Michael owed a duty of care to the children in care at the centre. He was responsible to provide the children with a safe environment and appropriate care and supervision. State/territory regulations clearly identify supervision as a critical aspect of duty of care to all children.

2.Did Michael take whatever degree of care was reasonable in the situation? Yes/No

NO

He should be aware of polices and procedures in regards to the morning set up . He should have been aware of his obligations to keep the environment clean, tidy, and safe. He did not take every reasonable precaution in the situation that he was the opening staff member and carrying out morning set out, to protect the children from a hazard likely to cause injury. Knowing that he was rostered on for the early open shift he could have asked the other educator the procedures in regards to this.

➢ Implement work practices which support the protection of children and young people
➢ Prevent harm from occurring.
➢ Ensure a clean and healthy environment for all children
➢ Participate in supervising indoor/outdoor environments to provide safety for the children at all times

3. Could the injury to the child have been prevented? Yes/No
Yes

All employees must be aware of and abide by legal requirements. Duty of care is a legal term which broadly encompasses the following concept.

➢ A legal responsibility to always act in the best intrest of the children in your care.
➢ Complying with services policies and procedures should ensure no child is put at risk of harm

4. Could a clear link be established between three factors above? Yes/No

Yes

A clear link can be established between these three factors.

There was injury to the child.

5.To demonstrate your knowledge of this area state what changes could be made to avoid staff missing the safety check in future?
Not to sure on this one i was thinking
a staff meeting could be called to make sure all staff are aware of what happened and can in future make sure that polices and procedures are followed and any new team members will be reminded of this.
Put up a poster at the entry to a outside to remind educators of check list

Description and Message:
Hi everyone can anyone give some help on this for me i looked up regulations licensing duty care work roles, just not sure if my answers are right
feel unsure do i need to add more or re word my answers please help
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Michael

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:15 am

Is this the scenario about how Michael started an early shift and was told verbally by Suzie of the morning routine and she forgot to mention about the safety check for the outdoor playground?

Sorry, not sure if this is the correct scenario? Although if this is the scenario you are referring to then your answers are fine. You can also check with the following topic in our forum where the same scenario was answered:

CHCCS400C – Work with a relevant legal and ethical framework

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A