CHCCS400C - Examples of Regulations Within A Service Setting

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
emmajogc

CHCCS400C - Examples of Regulations Within A Service Setting

Post by emmajogc » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:39 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCS400C – Work with a relevant legal and ethical framework
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Regulations for each state / territory set out minimum standards for the operation of a children’s service.

List 6 aspects of your service that are regulated by the Education and Care Services National Regulations 2011 and give an example of what this means for your service.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
As listed in Kearns (2010) text (The Big Picture) Page 34:

Facilities and equipment requirements. Unencumbered floor space/outdoor space per child, toilet and nappy change facilities, fire rating for building materials, storage facilities.

Staffing requirements. Qualifications, staff to child ratios, requirements for checking the character of staff, supervision, duties of primary contact staff.

Child number requirements. The maximum number of children that may be enrolled in the service at any one time, related directly to the size of the physical facilities (including outdoor play space).

Operational requirements. This relates to areas such as hours of operation, numbers of staff required to meet staff:child ratios, minimum qualifications of staff, compliance with other relevant legislation and policies and procedures that must be in place.

Administrative requirements. Policies, requirements such as emergency procedures, administration of medication, conduct of excursions, confidentiality guidelines, first aid requirements.

Records and record keeping. Children’s enrolments, immunisation status records, educational programs, retention of records.

Description and Message:
I am having trouble with the second part of the question, 'give an example of what this means for your service.'

Are they asking for an example for each of the six aspects of an over-all example - maybe like the following I have written?

It is the responsibility of the authorised supervisor to ensure that staff have adequate knowledge of their obligations in regards to the regulations and ensuring the service meets at least minimum standards. Each carer is responsible for making sure they understand how the regulations influence how they perform their duties and their individual responsibilities in regards to compliance. Together the staff and superviser must at all times monitor child:staff ratios, compliance with procedures and policies and record keeping. Enrollments must be kept within the licensed numbers. Staff must have police clearance checks, bluecard checks and qualifications evidence prior to employment.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Please help understand examples to give

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:47 pm

The response you have given for the second part of your question is very well written, however I think they are requiring you to be more specific to your centre. For example:
Staffing requirements. Qualifications, staff to child ratios, requirements for checking the character of staff, supervision, duties of primary contact staff.

Within our service setting we have 4 diploma trained staff, 4 certificate III trained and an ECT. The ratios are as follows....(then add ratios per room) etc.

I'm not totally sure if this is right but this is what I understand from the question...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

emmajogc

Re: CHCCS400C - Examples of Regulations Within A Service Setting

Post by emmajogc » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks, I have left my answer as is, and then gone on to identify our centres specific examples of ratios, staffing requirements and record keeping policies. Hope it comes back successful!