CHCCS400B - Presentation For Work Placement Students

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
a2727

CHCCS400B - Presentation For Work Placement Students

Post by a2727 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:38 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Part A Write Up a Presentation
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Every year the service you work for takes on students to do work placements. As the coordinator of the service, one of your tasks is to give a presentation to the students on their first day. Your talk should cover the legal aspects of working in the sector ( you may choose the sector you wish to refer to; for eg. aged care, disability services, HACC ) and organisational policies.

Write up your presentation so that it can be delivered as a talk that engages and informs the students about the responsibilities of staff who work in the organisation. Prepare charts and/or graphics that you can use as overheads to help you condense and illustrate this information; for example, charts to outline relevant legislation. Provide these to your trainer or assessor. Use examples, where you can, to illustrate important points.
You should cover the following aspects of the service:
1. An overview of the legal responsibilities and obligations of the role, an introduction to key legislation relevant to the sector and an explanation of duty of care obligations.
2. The following points that staff need to know about :
* occupational health and safety
* maintsaining confidentiality
* accepting responsibility for their own actions
* seeking the arrangement of the client prior to providing services
* anti- discrimination

3. An explanation of why it is important for staff to work within the policies and procedures of the organisation and how they can contribute to reviewing and developing policies
4. A discussion of the ways in which staff can understand and work within their work role requirements
5. A reference to what all staff should do if they are unsure of their scope of practice or do not understand some instruction.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
In the first place, I am sorry, for such a big question.

I tried finding answer to this from the material provide and internet. But the big problem , I have is, to get it in a form for a talk.
I am not really good with English. I cant construct a answer answering so many topics.. :(

But I will add points that i have

Legal responsiblities and obligations:

Privacy ( national privacy legislation and principles )
equal employment opportunity
freedom of information
access and equity
social justice
mandatory notification
OHS Legislation
the prevention of discrimination
anti-harrassment

Description and Message:
Thank you in advance.
Hope I get an answer.

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: CHCCS400B - Presentation For Work Placement Students

Post by cathiek » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi there a2727
Firstly, what sector did you choose? Say you had chosen child care, I would introduce ACECQA in the talk and discuss the main points of the legislation (National child and education care act I think)
You should find out duty of care for prac students (for instance at my Kindy when I have a prac student, she cannot take duty of care so if I am outside on recess duty I can't ask her to cover while I nip inside for a few minutes as she has no duty of care, however I would expect her to accompany me on all of my duty times.)
They would need to know working hours, breaks, rosters etc.
when relating things like oh&S use concrete examples (why you would not put a chair on top of a desk to hang up artwork, but would get a ladder instead etc)
Perhaps give them a list of duties for the position they are doing their prac for so they can see what is expected in paid employment.
I would also introduce them to key contact people so they know who to see if they have questions and also take them on a tour of the centre so they know where everything is.
I am not sure what format you have to present this in but I would suggest powerpoint and print it out with the slides. Then they could see your presentation.
Hope this helps.
I would break it down into manageable chunks, work on the first part first then as you gather more info move on to the next part.

a2727

Re: CHCCS400B - Presentation For Work Placement Students

Post by a2727 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi cathiek,

Many thanks for ur reply.. :)

Yeah, I m doing Cert. III in Children Services.

The info. u have provided is really helpful. I shall make use of those hints, and develop them.
I appreciate your time.

Thanks again..!
a2727