CHCCS400B - Informing The Parent That A Notification Has Been Made

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
tlg93

CHCCS400B - Informing The Parent That A Notification Has Been Made

Post by tlg93 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCS400B Protecting Children
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
"Every Children's service will have in place a policy and procedures for the notification of children who are suspected of being at risk of abuse or ill treatment."

Q. What responsibility is there to inform the parent that a notification has been made?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
To the extent of my knowledge I think you wouldn't have to inform the parent's that you have made a notification on suspicion of abuse or ill-treatment because it may affect the outcome - e.g. parents prepare to hide abuse from authorities, or other problems it may cause...

Description and Message:
I've looked through our text book and it doesn't mention anything on informing - or not informing - the parents that I could find. I'm not yet doing placement so I don't have policies and procedures to look through but our teacher did give us a link to a website that offers a sample policy, along with other links to regulations and acts. Should I look through them or am I right in saying you shouldn't mention it to the parents?
I know it would probably be suggested that you offer advice and support to parents where you suspect they may be struggling which is resulting in neglect, but I don't think you would inform them that you've made a report...but I have doubts lol which is why I'm asking. I wanna be sure!! :) If there's anything you'd have to mention to the parents, or if I'm reading the question wrong, please let me know :)

Thanks!
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: CHCCS400B - Informing The Parent That A Notification Has Been Made

Post by cathiek » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:56 pm

google mandatory reporting - that should help

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CHCCS400B - Informing The Parent That A Notification Has Been Made

Post by Kaz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:49 am

If you have report anything to a outside service you do not have to tell the parent.
You are report something in private and that is how it will stay, you do not have to give the service you are reporting to your name either but it wld help if they need future information.
Also think of it this way to, If you report the 'abuse' and it is the parent doing it? What will happen to the child now they have told you or you have seen it? We never really know ppl and wld this parent turn on you? safety is the key here.