CHCCN305B - Scenario: Marty - Starting Solids

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Sammiee

CHCCN305B - Scenario: Marty - Starting Solids

Post by Sammiee » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:58 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCN305B Provide Care for Babies
Your Assignment Type: Other
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Hey, i'm not sure if i'm on the right track please have a look thanks!!! :D
The question is

Marty (5mths) is thriving on bottle formuls. He sleeps well and is an extremely happy and content baby. Marty has been attending the centre four days per week for two months.
Marty's parents are quite young and have no family support. Marty is their first child.
Recently Marty's mother, Kitty, asked the carer if she should start him on solids.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
a. How would you respond to Kitty’s questions?
THIS ONE I don't know.....
b. What information would you provide Kitty?
I would suggest waiting until Marty is at least 6 months old before starting him on solids. She can also keep feeding Marty bottle formula or breast milk as well as feeding him solids for no less than 12 months.
c. What questions might you ask?
How often are you feeding Marty? Is he wanting more food sooner then he used to.
d. What resources/websites could you access?

Description and Message:
It would be awesome if you could have a look
Thanks!! :giggle: :roll:
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCCN305B - Scenario: Marty - Starting Solids

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:54 pm

I would suggest to the parents to begin introducing rice cereal, once a day to start off with. Probably in between giving him his bottles. Not to replace his milk at this stage but to begin getting him use to the taste and texture and only a small amount per day to start off with. He is only on bottles formula not breast milk so solids can be introduced a little earlier at around this stage.

Here is some info to help you out:

Starting On Solids (available in Resources, Parenting)
Baby's First Foods

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A