CHCCN305A - Scenarios: Thomas, Jack, Aliyah, Meg

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
poooja_mehul

CHCCN305A - Scenarios: Thomas, Jack, Aliyah, Meg

Post by poooja_mehul » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCN305A Provide care for babies
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Hi there, I have couple of case scenarios to do for my assignment, but I don't known whether I am on right track or not. If any one can help me in that will be appreciated. Thanks.
Scenario 1: Thomas is 14 months old and seems a little withdrawn in group play. It is time to change his nappy and this is a great opportunity for one to one play interaction.
a)How will the environment of the nappy change area assist at this time?
b)Describe the play?
c)What other routines will support the development of nurturing relationships?

Scenario 2: Jack is 18 months old and his mother Sasha has decided that he should not have his bottle at lunch time. Jack has one bottle in the morning and one at night. For lunch Sasha has provided a bottle filled with lime cordial, a can of spaghetti and some cracker biscuits.
1.What impact could this type of diet have on Jack’s development?
2.What do you think Jack should be eating?
3.How do you talk to his mother and ensure you respect her wishes and values?

Scenario 3:Megan has arrived to pick up her son Ryan. As Megan walks in the door, 16 month old Aliyah vomits onto the carpet in front of her. The room assistant Leilani has gone to the toilet and Rachel (the other staff member) is now alone in the room with 7 babies. The phone starts to ring in the middle of all this.
1.What should Rachel do?
2.Details how she should respond to the situation?
3.Where could she get help?
4.What should she say to Megan (Ryan’s Mum)?
5.Should Aliyah be sent home?
6.What policies and procedures cover this situation?

Scenario 4:You have been asked to prepare the afternoon tea for a group of children. The children’s ages range from 18 months to five years. The cook has left a bowl of fruit, a block of cheese, some crackers and milk. The morning tea is not required for about an hour.
1.List the steps you would take to complete this task.
2. Use what you know about suitable snacks for children, safe food handling and food storage. For example, what equipment would you use?

Scenario 5:Meg is a first time mum and is asking about when she should introduce solids to her daughter Isabella who is 5 months old. Meg has no extended family to support her.
1.What advice will you give her?
2. Where could Meg go for further information?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Scenario 1: a)During nappy change we can have a good one to one interaction with Thomas and let him express himself without any disturbances and in this way we can known why he is seems withdrawn and assist him to feel better.
b) I don't understand the question, they are trying to tell the one to one interaction.
c) May be sleep time or the meal time.

Scenario 2: (1)Jack is not having a healthy and nutrition food for lunch time and as the childcare providers we are intend to provide a healthy food for children. This can develop a child obesity in Jack.
2)Jack can have his bottle of milk or water instead of lime cordial, a cracker biscuits or fruit and some sandwiches.
3)I can talk to his mother when she comes to pick him up and let her known about the heather options.

Scenario 3: 1) Rachel should help Aliyah first as he could be sick and try to get an assistant to help other children as there is risk of getting infection from that.
2)Rachel should take Aliyah away from the area were he vomited and separated him from other children and try to get a doctor for him.Rachel should then get a phone call and then she can meet Ryan mother and tell her the details of his day.
3) Rachel can call any other staff member or she can call her supervisor of the room or she can call her manager.
4)Rachel can talk about the Ryan's day and other things that as his mother needs to know and something about what just happen in front of her.
5) According to the police Aliyah's parents must called and let them decide whether they want to take him home or not.
6) The policies are infection control, hygiene police, OHS policies.

Scenario 4:1) I am not sure about these question that which steps do I need to follow.
2) Suitable snacks can include fruit, crackers, muesli bars, juice. For safe food handling and storage it will hand washing before and after preparation of food. The surface should be cleaned where food is prepaid. Raw or uncooked food must be stored separately.

Scenario 5: 1)I will tell her that it is good to start the solid at around 6 months of age and she need to look for the signs that her daughter is read for the solid food or not some signs are:
-Has enough head and neck control to turn her head.
-Shows interest when other people eat.
-Stops pushing her tongue forward when trying to eat.
-Brings items to her mouth with her hands to try to suck/eat them.
-Can sit with support.
-Reaches out to grab food or spoons.
-Opens her mouth when food is offered.
2)Meg can go for advice from different authorities and health professionals.

Description and Message:
Hi there,
I try to given the answer to the some of the question and don't known whether its correct or not. Please anyone can help me with this then it will be great. Thanks...
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCCN305A Provide care for babies

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:18 pm

I had a read through the scenarios and your responses… You are heading in the right direction and I will also give you a few more ideas to assist you and develop your understanding.

Scenario 1:
- Sing songs, nursery rhymes, recite body parts, explain what you are doing, plenty of eye contact and smiles. Use positive
interactions.
- Meal times, quiet time, transitions, indoor play, outdoor play.

Scenario 2:
- Yes, it’s a good idea to offer another type of drink instead of cordial and it’s important to discuss some healthier
alternatives with Jack’s mother. If she hasn’t got time to prepare a meal for Jack, maybe you could offer an alternative
option such as sandwiches etc.

Scenario 3:
- Rachel should move the children away from the area and block it off (using a chair for a moment). Sit Aliyah away from
other children get her a cup of water. Ask another staff member from another room to assist. Get other staff member to
watch children while you check on Aliyah. When Leilani returns ask her to clean up the mess. Apologize to Ryan’s mum and
have a brief chat about his day. Check Aliyah’s temperature. Fill out sickness report and follow policies.

Scenario 4:
- Cut up smaller pieces for younger children, bigger pieces for older children. Arrange on different plates. Get older children to
help prepare afternoon tea and setup.
- Food should be separated, covered, stored in the fridge.
- Use gloves, hand washing procedures, chopping board, knife etc.

Scenario 5:
- You can print out some information on introducing solids to her child.
- Discuss what types of solids can be introduced first.
- Provide her with websites, information on getting more details.

Check this article out which is available on our site under Resources, Parenting which is about Starting on Solids.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

poooja_mehul

Re: CHCCN305A - Scenarios: Thomas, Jack, Aliyah, Meg

Post by poooja_mehul » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks for the help L.A.