CHCCN301B - Reduce the Spread of Infection

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jaskop

CHCCN301B - Reduce the Spread of Infection

Post by jaskop » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Ensure Children's Health and Safety
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Describe what you would do in each situation to assist the child and reduce the potential spread of infection.
"Tanin has not been her usually bubbly self today. At morning tea she complains of a sore throat".
a) how would you respond to Tanin?
b) what steps would you take to minimise the risk of infection?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
a)
*encourage Tanin to use proper cough & sneeze etiquette (ie: sneeze/cough into elbow, wash hands after coughing/sneezing into them or using a tissue, put used tissues in bin)
*check Tanin for other symptoms (eg: runny nose, fever, rash etc)

b) I am ok with this one (i think!)

Description and Message:
I am just wondering what else should be done for Tanin? would you separate her from the group and call her parents? give her anything to make her feel a bit more comfortable?
I don't work in a child care centre, and am still in the process of finding a placement so have no one to bounce ideas off.
TIA for your help! :)
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CHCCN301B

Post by Steffelz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi Jaskop
You're on the right track, some other things you could do include:
Check her temperature, Give her a comfortable place to sit and rest away from the other children. encourage her to drink water. Check for a rashes or spots. check on her throughout the day for signs of new or worsening symptoms. Give her lots of cuddles. Watch her activity levels, and watch to see if she is behaving differently. If she didnt go home early because of a high fever, I would still mention it to her parents when they pick her up.

Hope this helps honey :)

jaskop

Re: CHCCN301B

Post by jaskop » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks Steffelz! :) Your help is very much appreciated! :)