CHCCN301B Ensure the health and safety of children - Excursions

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
danzilles93

CHCCN301B Ensure the health and safety of children - Excursions

Post by danzilles93 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:34 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCN301B Ensure the health and safety of children
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Hi having some trouble coming up with some potential hazards for Part E question 3.

Scenario
You are an unquallified educator in a children's education and care service working with the 3-5 year age group. at 9:30am you are going with your lead educator to take a group of 29 children on a 45 minute walk to look around the local neighbourhood. You will not be crossing any major roads or gooing near water.

Question - List four potential hazards you may encounter on the excursion, explain why it is a hazard and the risk reduction strategies you will implement to manage them.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I have thought of cars reversing out of driveways, strangers, staff ratios. I need a couple ideas i'm a bit stuck on getting the risk reduction strategy and not sure if my ideas are along the right track. Any ideas would help greatly. Have looked at my centre's policies and procedures but didn't really help that much.

Description and Message:

syakira
Helper
Helper

Re: CHCCN301B Ensure the health and safety of children - Excursions

Post by syakira » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:56 pm

broken glass on foot path

dogs

large cracks in the footpath. Cracks that have been shifted up because of tree roots growing underneath.

large branches from trees blocking the footpath

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:20 pm

You could also add syringes, dog poo (gross I know - but I have had kids try and jump in it YUK), puddles from rain, blind corners, people riding on bikes,

danzilles93

Post by danzilles93 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks that's really helpful. Assessment is done and sent in to be marked now :)