CHCCHILD401A - Scenario: Adin and Ethan

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
patchez01

CHCCHILD401A - Scenario: Adin and Ethan

Post by patchez01 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCHILD401A IDENTIFY AND RESPOND TO CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE AT RISK
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Hi I am looking for some further information on the following senario question Adin (5 years) has just hit Ethan (3 years) his younger brother. When staff approached, Adin said that Ethan was “naughty” and it is his job to make sure Ethan behaves himself

• What would you do?
• Who could you seek advice and support from?
• How can you protect Ethan and still respect Adin’s family beliefs?
• Should this matter be reported? If so to whom and why?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
My answer so far is :- I would first make sure that Ethan was not hurt and then remove him away to a safer area, I would report what had occurred and then advise my supervisor. I would ask other employees in privacy if they have been involved in a similar situation and what they have done, advise is always a great support. I would definitely report this matter as Adin may not just hit his brother Ethan whilst he is in care, he may hurt other children that he thinks are being “naughty” as well.

* I am not sure if I am answering the question properly, I seem to be missing respecting Adins family beliefs ?

Description and Message:
Having a few issues answering this question, any help would be appreciated. Many thanks, Lauren.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: IDENTIFY AND RESPOND TO CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE AT RISK

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:33 pm

You're on the right track with your response...

I would also remove Adin away from the situation and get him to read a book quietly while you attend to Ethan. Once Ethan is fine, talk to Adin about his brother's behavior. What did Ethan do that was naughty? Talk about that hitting hurts and that there are other ways to stop naughty behavior such as using words. Discuss that hitting doesn't solve problems and Ethan will hit back at Adin in the future. Adin is 5 years old so he is able to understand when discussing this with him. You could also probably mention this incident to their parents. Get them to encourage Adin to teach Ethan the right behavior by role modelling and using words instead.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

patchez01

Re: CHCCHILD401A - Scenario: Adin and Ethan

Post by patchez01 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Thank you so much, you have given me some great information that I can use, I have one day left before I need to submit and only half way finished.