CHC30708 Section 3 Provides For The Childrens Developmental Needs CASE STUDY Qs

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
andapanda88

CHC30708 Section 3 Provides For The Childrens Developmental Needs CASE STUDY Qs

Post by andapanda88 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Nearly finished my course. Just stuck on the case studies. Looked for ages but found no info on internet. Help would be really appreciated :)

CASE STUDY 1/SCENARIO 1 (CS1)
The child enters the room being carried by mum. The child is crying and holding on around mum's neck. Mum approaches a staff member and says 'Can you take her/him?' The staff member removes the child's hand from around mum's neck. The child's mum runs out the door.
The child lies curled up on the floor crying. When staff approaches, she/he shouts 'I want my mum!'

1. How would you react to this scenario if the child was one who:
a. Often acted shy?
b. Was usually comfortable in the environment?
c. Is usually outgoing?

2. Would you react differently for each child? If so why?

CASE STUDY 2/SCENARIO 2 (CS2)
The child (4yrs) sits down at the puzzle table and chooses a puzzle. After about 2 minutes of trying to get the pieces in, he pushes the puzzle off the table onto the floor. The caregiver goes over to the table, picks up the puzzle and asks what is wrong. The child says 'I can't so it. it's dumb!' Gets up and leaves.

3. How would you react to this scenario if the child was one who:
a. Often acted shy?
c. Is usually outgoing?

4. Would you react differently for each child? If so why?

CASE STUDY 3/SCENARIO 3 (CS3)
The child arrives and looks withdrawn. She/he yells at another child and refuses to sit at group time. She/he pushes toys off tables and spends alot of the morning fighting with the child she/he normally plays with.

5. How would you react to this scenario if the child was one who:
a. Often acted shy?
c. Is usually outgoing?

6. Would you react differently for each child? If so why?

Lorina

Re: CHC30708 Section 3 Provides For The Childrens Developmental Needs CASE STUDY Qs

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi Andrea,

We would really appreciate it, if you could provide your response to the questions and tell us your understanding of what you would do in each of the scenarios. For scenario based questions you won't be able to find the info on the net, just imagine how you would handle the situation.

For each scenario think about these circumstances:

a. Often acted shy - need some time to settle in, feeling overwhelmed etc.
b. Was usually comfortable in the environment - went to bed late previous night, feeling unwell etc.
c. Is usually outgoing - tired, angry, had a bad sleep, is distracted etc.

Let me know

:geek:,
L.A

andapanda88

Re: CHC30708 Section 3 Provides For The Childrens Developmental Needs CASE STUDY Qs

Post by andapanda88 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:33 am

Thank you for your reply Catchmeifyoucan,

I have now passed this assignment. Here are my answers for Case Study2/Scenario 2:

Case Study 2/Scenario 2
Often acted shyly: Acknowledge and accept the childs feeling of frustration and possibly anger. Talk about the feelings and encourage the child to talk about them too. Encourage the child to understand that there is nothing wrong with feeling frustrated. It is the reaction to the frustration or anger, such as pushing the puzzle onto the floor, that is unacceptable.
Offer to help the child complete the puzzle, or offer them a puzzle that suits there ability. Wait until his/her frustration is interfering with the task, then say, ‘You are doing such a good job getting that puzzle piece in but this bit is tricky. If I help you find where to put it then can you do the rest?’
If the child often acted shy, then I would do this with her if she was comfortable with me (knew me well), otherwise I would find someone that she new well to do the activity with her. If this wasn’t possible, then I would find a puzzle appropriate to her ability and encourage her to give it a try. If she has lost interest in the activity, then I would encourage her to try it again later.

Was usually comfortable in the environment: Aknowledge and accept the childs feeling of frustration and possibly anger. Talk about the feelings and encourage the child to talk about them too. Encourage the child to understand that there is nothing wrong with feeling frustrated. It is the reaction to the frustration or anger, such as pushing the puzzle onto the floor, that is unacceptable.
Offer to help the child complete the puzzle, or offer them a puzzle that suits there ability. Wait until his/her frustration is interfering with the task, then say, ‘You are doing such a good job getting that puzzle piece in but this bit is tricky. If I help you find where to put it then can you do the rest?’

Is usually outgoing: Acknowledge and accept the child's feeling of frustration and possibly anger. Talk about the feelings and encourage the child to talk about them too. Encourage the child to understand that there is nothing wrong with feeling frustrated. It is the reaction to the frustration or anger, such as pushing the puzzle onto the floor, that is unacceptable.
If the child is usually outgoing, I could get him to do a puzzle as a group and help with the puzzle.

Would you react differently for each child? If so why? I would react slightly differently for each child because each child is an individual and has individual needs. What works for the outgoing child could discourage and scare the shy child.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Hey Andapanda,

Thank you for posting up your response!

I had a read of what you answered and no wonder you passed you did such a great job! :thumbup:

Very informative and you provided alot of details to your response...

Kudos to you :clap: !

Cheers :geek:,
L.A