cert iii - supporting families

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Educater
Participator
Participator

cert iii - supporting families

Post by Educater » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:31 pm

1) suggest two strategies that could be put inplace by children services to support families with young children.

2) where family is living under stress the child's own beahaviour or development may contribute to the likelihood os abuse. Drawing on your child development knowledge give some examples of the behavioural or developmental factors that may place a child at risk of abuse.

3) select two of your examples and indicate how you might work with the child and family to reduce this particular risk factor.

plz sumbody help me out with these questions...cant find anyfin abt it and unable to figure it out...have loads of work to do
this is one of cert iii unit that i had to do ..due to changes ...hmmm
waiting for your response.. :)

Lorina

Re: cert iii - supporting families

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:14 pm

Good Arvo Nida,

Woohoo!! The weekend is finally here… :D ! Doing anything fun this weekend? Assignments? Well they can be fun :cry: ..

Ok.. I’ll get to your question…

suggest two strategies that could be put inplace by children services to support families with young children

1) Offer parent education programs that promote caring and positive parenting.
2) Assist parents in developing parenting skills.
3) Increase parental knowledge of child development.
4) Developing awareness between physical abuse and discipline.

(I used the above points in a previous assignment question that had been posted. I think it’s relevamt for this question too).

where family is living under stress the child's own beahaviour or development may contribute to the likelihood os abuse. Drawing on your child development knowledge give some examples of the behavioural or developmental factors that may place a child at risk of abuse

Age - Infants and young children, due to their small physical size, early developmental status, and need for constant care, can be particularly vulnerable to child risk of abuse. Very young children are more likely to experience certain forms of abuse, such as shaken baby syndrome and nonorganic failure to thrive. Teenagers, on the other hand, are at greater risk for sexual abuse.

Disabilities - In general, children who are perceived by their parents as "different" or who have special needs—including children with disabilities, as well as children with chronic illnesses or children with difficult temperaments—may be at greater risk of abuse. The demands of caring for these children may overwhelm their parents. Disruptions may occur in the bonding or attachment processes, particularly if children are unresponsive to affection. Children with disabilities also may be vulnerable to repeated abuse because they may not understand that the abusive behaviors are inappropriate, and they may be unable to escape or defend themselves in abusive situations. There may be greater tolerance of a caregiver verbally berating or physically responding to a disabled child's inability to accomplish a task or act in an expected way than there would be if similar behavior was directed at a normally abled child.

Child Characteristics - Child factors such as aggression, attention deficits, difficult temperaments, and behavior problems—or the parental perceptions of such problems—have been associated with increased risk for all types of child abuse. These factors may contribute indirectly to child abuse when interacting with certain parental characteristics, such as poor coping skills, poor ability to empathize with the child, or difficulty controlling emotions. In addition, these same child characteristics may be reinforced by the abuse (e.g., a physically abused child may develop aggressive behaviors that elicit harsh reactions from others) and create conditions that can lead to recurring child abuse.

select two of your examples and indicate how you might work with the child and family to reduce this particular risk factor.

- Provide articles to parent about newborns and infants about what they are like, what to expect, living with babies etc.

- Develop parenting workshops and provide expert advice on how to deal with babies.

-Provide practical parenting strategies.

-Provide brochures and handouts about babies,

-Offer information about Centrelink family/parent payments.

Disabilities

-Get in touch with Early Intervention Services . Early childhood intervention provides support for infants and young children who have developmental delays or disabilities, their families and communities, in order to promote the child's development and inclusion.

-Provide further information to parent about how to support child’s developmental delays.

-Offer support and counseling numbers

See if you can come up with anymore that I haven’t thought of…

Now go and enjoy the weekend and try not to study too hard,

:geek:,
L.A

Educater
Participator
Participator

Post by Educater » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:49 pm

hey cool...L.A...thanks a lot for your such help and so quick reply...really appreciate your hard work...but i can plz confirm with the question
'suggest two strategies that could be put inplace by children services to support families with young children"
i think this is bit different as because its asking about SUPPORT TO FAMILIES WITH YOUNG CHILDREN and this means that if they have 4 yr old child and then a baby..it gets bit tough to give time to both so in that meaning how can children servcie pu tin strategies to support FAMILIES WITH YOUNG CHILDREN...
can u plz look over and see if its suppose to be bit different to wt u answered before
i hate this word strategies ....nearly in every question it is there...uffff

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:02 pm

You can still use these strategies that L.A said
1) Offer parent education programs that promote caring and positive parenting.
2) Assist parents in developing parenting skills.
These will still help parents with young children.
You put in place things that will educate parents and give parents the skills to cope with and understand how to deal with young children...be it one or two or three children

Do you have the recommended texts for the Diploma study? They provide a lot of information. I do suggest you get them if you do not have them, it is always good to have these books regardless, as they come in handy even after you have completed your qualification.

Educater
Participator
Participator

Post by Educater » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:49 pm

ahem...okiez..i just thought maybe its different...
well thanks L.A and fefe..for ur great answers and taking out time to actualy go through it and answer em...

teresamc

Post by teresamc » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:15 pm

This probably isn't in the official advice but if I were answering this question and I guess I soon will be, I would bear in mind that the childcare professional may be the only other adult outside the family that parents get to speak to in the course of the day. So it is really important with a family "at risk" to try and take some time for a casual chat and build up the rapport so that hopefully they ask for help when they need it rather than doing the wrong thing with their kids.

mama91

Post by mama91 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:50 pm

I have a similair assessment and I was wondering if anyone could could help me out with strategies to support families going through financial hardsip, new migrants, seperation/divorce, abusive parent, serious illness/death.