Qualifications To Begin Working In Childcare

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
beckynj

Qualifications To Begin Working In Childcare

Post by beckynj » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi,
Just wanted some advice regarding what degrees I should be doing to work in children services. Let me begin with telling you a bit of my background. I finished a Master degree in Translation & Interpreting in 2003, but didn't work in the field I studied. I've always wanted to work with children, so early this year I enrolled in Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Primary) at QUT (that's in QLD) via distance learning. A few weeks into the course, I found out I had to find my own work placement and after a numerous attempt, all I've got was every school were filled :( I withdrew the course to re-consider my option. Now I'm thinking if I should continue on the same path - getting a uni degree, or study cert III in early childhood...

I have an impression that if I study cert III, I'd be able to try getting a job at a childcare centre to gain experience. And if I don't like it, at least I won't be making a huge commitment studying a uni degree (I know how hard it is to do a master from my experience...).

I know I sound kind of indecisive and vague. I guess I'm just confused and very overwhelmed with options. I'd like to study at home because I have 2 small children and work part time in retail, but studying at campus means the uni will help allocating work placement.

My daughter's teacher recommended studying at University of Western Sydney (I live in NSW). But the course is offered on campus only and the workload is very intense I'm not sure I'll be able to cope...I'm quite reluctant to do a course online due to my previous experience with finding work placement.

Would doing a cert III at TAFE be a better option at this stage? First, it's (hopefully) easier and takes less time to complete. When I finish the course and get a job at a childcare centre, I may start a degree in teaching while working, then complete my work placement there? I don't know, I just think this might open up more chance in getting a field experience done.

What are your thoughts? I would really appreciate any advice :)
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

inkhearted

Re: Qualifications To Begin Working In Childcare

Post by inkhearted » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:18 am

Hi Beckynj! I'm pretty new to childcare myself so I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but I just wanted to say, I've been there! I have a Bachelor's Degree I'm still not using, always wanted to work with children, considered primary school teaching, and ended up going the childcare route.

The reason I chose Cert III over a uni degree is for the reason you mentioned--it's much quicker and not as big of a commitment. I ended up finishing my certificate in 3 months or so (working on it full time). I did an online course and had no trouble at all finding practical placement by myself -- I sent out queries to three of the nearest childcare centres, didn't hear back from one, but was offered work placement by the second one and paid casual relief work by the third while I was still studying.

The place I ended up doing my work placement had quite a few students doing placement there already, but they said an extra pair of hands was always appreciated. You might find that it's easier to find work placement in a childcare centre than it was in a primary school. If that's the only thing holding you back from doing an online course (which would likely be the quickest route depending on how you pace yourself), you could always send out some queries to childcare centres in your area before you start and see if anyone would be interested in having you. That way if no one has room, you could do a course somewhere else that would find placement for you.

Hope you find something that works for you soon! I know how overwhelming some of these decisions can be.

beckynj

Post by beckynj » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:18 pm

Thanks so much for your input, inkhearted! :) really appreciate your advice.

You know, I've always thought about doing a cert III for a start. I'm just not very sure if it's a right decision...or will I be wasting my time doing it instead of going straight to do master in teaching at uni?

I'll try asking childcare centres around the area. There are plenty of them, so hopefully I'll be able do land a place for my practicum :)

Any more ideas are truly welcome :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:43 am

Another option - instead of doing a cert 3 you could just start with the Diploma itself. So, if you decide in the future, you want to continue to do the degree, since you already have a diploma qualification you can get a year or so knocked off from the degree.

In regards to studying online or on campus it's up to you and how you prefer to study. If the only factor holding you back is the work placement issue from online study, well you could try and "block" your placement in the future at a centre. Meaning if you enrol into a diploma course (for example) and looking through your modules in 3 months time you need to do work placement, you could start looking around centre now to find placement for then. It's just less stressful to get work placement sorted out now rather than wait until you need it. Also, if you are wanting to gain experience you could always do casual work while studying a couple days a week...

Not too confuse you more but sometimes having a diploma is good enough qualification depending on where you want to go in childcare. As a diploma qualified you work as a room leader within a centre, as a degree qualified you work as a director and an ECT (in the preschool room). It just depends on what position you want to fulfil to work out which qualification is necessary.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

beckynj

Post by beckynj » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Lorina, thanks so much for your advice! :) I'll have a look at the diploma course as well. I love that it qualifies me to work as a ECT, and sounds like it gives me more opportunity to further my career if I want to.

The only thing that holds me back from doing an online course is finding workplace. I like the fact that I can tailor my study to suit my family circumstances :) It's quite difficult to go to campus when I work part time and have to drop off and pick up my kids from school every day. But I did as inkhearted and you suggested, I went to a local childcare centre today and asked if I could do my work placement there, they said they'd speak to their director and give me a call later. I used to think you could only do that when you're already enrolled to do a course :lol:

Now just to make a decision on which course and which institute...

burgerbunz
Participator
Participator

Post by burgerbunz » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi Beckynj.
I hope this isn't too late- but I thought i'd throw in my 2 cents worth as well. I did a Bachelor degree, a very generalist degree, meaning I wasn't qualified to do much at all!! I applied for Master of Teaching Primary through a Uni in WA. It was the most horrible experience I have had in my 'study' life. I tried again after a couple of years, the same degree, a different Uni… again--it was completely horrid. BUT (yes it continues)- I had been reading some studies done by a Dr. in NZ on Early Childhood studies, specifically gifted students, and turns out she was a lecturer at another Uni in Australia now. So I applied to do the same qualification through that Uni- just to study with her. I have never been so happy! It is the best thing I have decided to do. It will take me 2.5 years, they organise the pracs if you can't do it yourself, I had heaps of trouble getting placement, so they are stepping in and organising it for me next year. It's all online except for the 75 days of pracs done over the two years (the only reason it's taking me longer is I'm doing a Grad Dip concurrently). I hope you can make a decision, and remember, if it's not right- you can try somewhere else--I did it 3 times, and found what I was looking for (sings U2 badly in her head).

Amanda

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:20 am

A diploma alone will not qualify you to be an ECT, you will need your diploma + have completed more than 50% of an approved Early childhood degree, however the diploma is probably the best starting point for you.
You'll get experience, which in my opinion counts for a lot more than a degree sometimes. I did my diploma then degree and felt it was a good route as assignments were easier as I had so much working knowledge and experience behind me. Not to mention you'll get at least a year less to study at Uni if you've competed your diploma.