My introduction

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Dragonstorm
Participator
Participator

My introduction

Post by Dragonstorm » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:52 pm

Hello there! Happy days.

I have just enrolled via OUA, to do my Bachelor of Education(Early childhood studies). I am a 40year old Dad of one 4yr old Son and married to a godess. I am in Brisbane and will be making the most of my time (in between facebook and other stuff) via online studies whilst working casual at a sports club, mainly in functions(cause thats what i do). I have studied at advanced diploma level(sport and recreation) full time with TAFE in the past, but cant afford to take a cut in pay to study so am doing it online. I can arrange events if you need.

I am so excited and cant wait to help if i can.

If you want to know more about me ask away. Or just feel free to follow if you want.

Regards
Dragonstorm
Andrew

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: My introduction

Post by LindyT » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Welcome!!

Wish you every success in your future studies!!
Lindy

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:17 am

Welcome Andrew,
I too like you am starting my Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) however I chose to go through USQ (studying distance learning) as I have studied through OUA before and found it lacking in support.
It will be good to have some company on this journey as I am sure it will be challanging.
Did you manage to get exemptions for your previous study? USQ have exempted me from 10 courses which is over 1 years worth of study and for a 4 year degree getting over a year off feels good :)
Whereabouts in Brissie are you? I used to work at Kenmore before my husband got a new job and we moved to Central QLD!
Well good luck with your studies, I hope we can be of help to one another.
When do you start? I start next month!! am starting with 2 courses and will see if I can manage that while working FT as well

Dragonstorm
Participator
Participator

Post by Dragonstorm » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome,
fefe76, I live in Moggill (just down the road a bit from Kenmore). onthe note about about RPL, i washavent really thought about that but really should look into it a bit more i know before study starts, 20 november. I also am only doing two courses to see how i go but should be able to up it a bit as i grow in confidence and time availability from work. I work in hospitality and with the function seaseon looming up, i thought it best to perhaps start slow then go hammer and tongs from january. thats the plan so far anyway.
On the topic of support i feel that all the info i may need is on the net anyway from great sites like this and others anyway , but i felt a bit pressured to enroll sooner rather than later but now i have a couple of weeks to finalise study options and providers. You said OUA lacked some support....In what way did you think that?
I fyour ever in town call me or PM me and we can meet up for a coffee and a lovely piece of cake!
Kind Regards
Andrew

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:59 pm

Ahh yes Moggill, nice area, I lived in Chapel Hill which was very convenient for work for me as it was just down the road.

Definately look into getting exemptions, depending on what previous study you have done you may get some exemptions and anything off a 4 year degree has got to help!
I have a Diploma of Children's Services & Diploma of Montessori Education and thats what got me my exemptions.
So give them a call and find out, if you don't ask you don't get!

On the matter of support I just found it harder as even though I was doing courses with RMIT I was still an OUA student and everything was channeled through the middleman which was annoying, perhaps it was because I was overseas at the time as well so it was harder for me, I couldnt just pick up the phone and call and I found emails not answered by RMIT and OUA saying my questions needed to be directed the University but then not helping me by realising the University wasnt getting back to me ... etc etc
Thus this time I went straight to the Uni, that way I am a USQ student and I can avail of all their support and facilities etc and so far I have found them exceptional in student support and getting back to me with answers and answering question after question I have had about my program and RPL. They were quick with giving my exemptions and giving me a recommended study plan (took them 1 day!)

I understand you can get support off sites like this but sometimes you need support in the way of things that only your study provider can help you with and that to me is vital. I like to know my tutors are available to me to answer questions or just let me know how I am going ... I have done University study before and I guess thats why I am so picky about it now as I know exactly what I need to get me through this degree and did a lot of research before choosing my university and degree

I am not in town often but will def PM u for coffee and cake. There are some good places around :) mmmmm Simons gormet deli .... *sniff* miss that place.... it was right across from where I lived so was a frequent haunt

Dragonstorm
Participator
Participator

Post by Dragonstorm » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Was thinking of doing it via USQ previously, which i think i will do anyway. I can still withdraw from OUA then enroll with USQ. I understand the support issue a bit better in the last couple of days and you've helped me to decide as i had seen a few similar refrences and experiences as yours. Yes i think i will go straight to the university path.
Will have to chase the exemptions up, only issue is that my study was in 2003 and most seem to limit it to 5 or 7 years, so may just miss out but will be able to ace those subjects and hopefully get a few HD's on the piece of paper at the end of it all.

Weve just the coles out here reopen in the last two weeks(since the floods) so I think were a bit spoiled for choice at the local bakery and an iced coffee from the milk section of coles.......Bloody rural life!

Regards
Andrew

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Try living where I am living then you will know rural ... actually remote life! The nearest Coles & Woolies is an hour away!

During one of my previous jobs on the Gold Coast we had a USQ student do her placement with us and she had nothing bad to say about them.
I also found out some Unis though do distance/online learning expect students to come to campus for some subjects etc....a huge issue for me as I live so remotely but USQ is totally distance/online & u never need to go to campus. The only time u have to do anything away from home is work placements, so that suited me.
Also my aunt works in the Dept of Education at USQ and says they are really good, though she may be biased, she is Associate Professor
Director Leadership Research (LRI)
Anyway i found it easy to apply to USQ (direct entry) got an answer quick and its easy to enrol online you get your own student support officer who can assist you with anything
If you want to go USQ you need to move quick as they are enrolling for S3 now.

Dragonstorm
Participator
Participator

Post by Dragonstorm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Hey there
Have decided to stay with OUA, they are totaly distance (Curtin Uni, WA). After speaking with some of the Girls at our local centre they said it doesnt matter where you study you get the same quals. Sme of them are in their second year through OUA and havent had any probs so far.
Wow you do live rural dont you....
Cheers
Andrew

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 am

i did my study with OUA about 4 yrs ago so i guess they have improved. everyone has a different experience i just prefer now to go directly through the uni.
well good luck with it, are you starting next mnth? do ask about the exemptions for prior study though
its not too bad, i live an hour away from Emerald so its like going from Brissie to Goldie just with road trains and mining cars everywhere rather than fancy city cars :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi Andrew,

Welcome To Aussie Childcare Network! :wave: It's great to have you on board!

You must be feeling excited that you are doing the Bachelor of Education. If you want to work in the early childhood industry I guess that's probably the best way to go, especially after all the new regulations kick in. Once you complete your Bachelor will you want to be a director or perhaps work as a preschool teacher? You definitely will be qualified to do either.

You mentioned that you enjoy spending time on Facebook... Have you checked out the "My Wall" feature that you have access too? It's similar to Facebook, where you create a friends list, write on your very own "My Wall" for friends to see and even chat with friends when they are online the same time as you... Since you enjoy using Facebook, you may also enjoy this feature available on this site too.

I really wish you the very best in your future studies and I'm sure I will be seeing you around the forum or even on your "My Wall".

Good Luck With It All,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Another male in childcare I see...welcome aboard and wish you the best!