Develop A Series of Mathematical Experiences

Forum for students doing their Bachelor of Early Childhood Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
angel22

Develop A Series of Mathematical Experiences

Post by angel22 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: 1 Analysis of a young child's responses to mathematical situations

2 Develop a series of mathematical learning experiences
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Advanced Knowledge

Your Question?
Play Experience Analysis Develop/ plan/ conduct an authentic/real life that will allow you to mediate a discussion outdoor play experience with a young child (up to the age of 5yrs). You are not planning a specific mathematics experience, just a play experience. The outdoor play experience should motivate the child and be engaging. The outdoor play experience could be in the garden, a sporting activity, constructing, sandpit play, at the park or other similar activity. Use your imagination. The outdoor play experience does not need to be a specific 'maths' experience, just an interaction that will allow you to converse with, listen to and observe the child. You need to be able to observe what the child does and scribe/record what the child says.
Write a brief background to introduce your analysis. Briefly explain the outdoor play experience, information relating to the child- age, gender, schooling, family background, your relationship to the child and any other information that is relevant to provide a ‘picture’ of the situation. Word restriction 200- 300 words.
Complete an analysis of the child’s mathematical understanding as demonstrated during the outdoor play experience. Refer to the Play Experience Template in the Assessment Link in Blackboard. You can use this table to record your information or you can develop your own table.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
im confused I need n example to get me staeted!!

Description and Message:
any one here has done these assesments it will be much appreciated I need exmples to get my head back im stressing out and its my frst time studying. please help me guys!! I will ttly return the favour I was once in ur shoes =(
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: PLEASE HELP GUYS!!

Post by cathiek » Sun May 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Ok, don't overstress - we tend to overthink these things. Firstly look up your play experience template. I have no idea what it will look like, but it will surely set you on the right path as to what your assessors are looking for.
Then start off with the background, child's name, age, gender, relationship to you etc. this is just general stuff to give a background picture.
For me measurement immediately comes to mind as a play experience in the sandpit. If a child is playing in the sandpit you could ask who many scoops of sand to fill up the bucket. The child and you could guess and then measure to see how close you were. Or if they are playing with cars, say lets make a road and use items to measure your sand road. Put a water tray out and give them various items to pour,measure & fill. Talk with them about it, elicit answers and ideas about what they are doing.
Note down the child's responses, both their questions about the activity and their answers. This will give you an indication of their mathematical understanding.
Hope this helps
Cathiek

angel22

Re: PLEASE HELP GUYS!!

Post by angel22 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:57 pm

OMG thankyou so much you made it so clear! appreciate your help great ideas you gave me great examples to keep me on track Thnx cathiek =)