Room Leader

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
LilyH27

Room Leader

Post by LilyH27 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:14 pm

I am currently room leader for the nursery and it’s only me and another educator carrying for it. Sometimes the toddlers need help in their room because they’re under ratio so it’s either me or the other educator that help since we only have 4 babies a day.
My question is am I supposed to stay in the room that I’m leading and send the other educator to help? Or should we take turns helping out?

Lorina

Re: Room Leader

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:57 pm

I think it's completely up to you since you are the room leader. As a room leader you are primarily the one responsible for the children in the nursery so you can send the other Educator to help out. However if you are having one of "those days" and need a change you can go and help out instead. In my opinion, you can choose what to do as long as you know what's happening in the room while you're away.

:geek:,
Lorina

NigelBeier

Re: Room Leader

Post by NigelBeier » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:17 am

LilyH27 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:14 pm
I am currently room leader for the nursery and it’s only me and another educator carrying for it. Sometimes the toddlers need help in their room because they’re under ratio so it’s either me or the other educator that help since we only have 4 babies a day.
My question is am I supposed to stay in the room that I’m leading and send the other educator to help? Or should we take turns helping outgetting over it?
Staying in your assigned room:
Pros:
Ensures consistency and routine for children in your room, which can be comforting and promote better learning.
Maintains your supervision of your assigned children and allows you to address their individual needs quickly.
Allows the other educators to focus on meeting the immediate needs of the toddlers in the under-ratio room.
Cons:
May put increased pressure on the other educators if they are alone with more children for an extended period.
Could create resentment or tension if you're perceived as not helping out, even if it's for the benefit of your own group.

Taking turns helping out:
Pros:
Shares the workload equally and ensures both groups get support when needed.
Fosters collaboration and teamwork between you and the other educators.
Offers a break from your usual routine and potentially new perspectives on working with different children.
Cons:
May disrupt routines and cause minor confusion for children in both rooms if they're not used to changing educators.
Requires good communication and coordination between you and the other educators to ensure smooth transitions and seamless coverage.

The final choice is up to you.