pick up from unauthorised parent

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
krystal.s

pick up from unauthorised parent

Post by krystal.s » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:59 pm

hey everyone
I have just started taking studies for cert 3 in early childhood. I have a question that I'm stuck on for one of my assessments and just looking for some advice...

SCENARIO
Marlee (two) is living in foster care. The foster family has provided court documentation that states that Marlee is currently in protective care, and the family is not to contact Marlee until further investigation is conducted. One morning, Marlee’s parents arrive at the service demanding that they see their daughter. The Director clearly states that they have court orders on file that prevent the parents from contacting Marlee. The Director can smell alcohol on the breath of both parents, and therefore, requests that they leave the premises, or the police would be called upon. The parents become agitated and start to raise their voices and threaten the Director. In the meantime, the Administration staff call the police for emergency assistance.

QUESTION
1. What is the service policy the Director will follow in this incident?

I don't think this is correct but my answer would have been along the lines of "lockdown procedure" as the parents are becoming agitated and make threats its safer to keep the whole service in lockdown until police authorities arrive? or am i completely off topic for this question ?

any advice is greatly appreciated :-)

Helena2023

Re: pick up from unauthorised parent

Post by Helena2023 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:34 pm

krystal.s wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:59 pm
hey everyone
I have just started taking studies for cert 3 in early childhood. I have a question that I'm stuck on for one of my assessments and just looking for some advice...

SCENARIO
Marlee (two) is living in foster care. The foster family has provided court documentation that states that Marlee is currently in protective care, and the family is not to contact Marlee until further investigation is conducted. One morning, Marlee’s parents arrive at the service demanding that they see their daughter. The Director clearly states that they have court orders on file that prevent the parents from contacting Marlee. The Director can smell alcohol on the breath of both parents, and therefore, requests that they leave the premises, or the police would be called upon. The parents become agitated and start to raise their voices and threaten the Director. In the meantime, the Administration staff call the police for emergency assistance.

QUESTION
1. What is the service policy the Director will follow in this incident?

I don't think this is correct but my answer would have been along the lines of "lockdown procedure" as the parents are becoming agitated and make threats its safer to keep the whole service in lockdown until police authorities arrive? or am i completely off topic for this question ?

any advice is greatly appreciated :-)
hi i am currently doing this now, and want to know if my answers are correct:) just stuck on Q2
Q1- the policy is duty of care - do not release the child

Q2 Which legislation will be referred to in this policy?- i am not sure with this?

Q3 What steps can the educators take to protect Marlee and the other children in care while waiting for the police to arrive?
- if possible remove yourself and those in the immediate area from the person, initiate the lock down procedure.