Phasing Out Patting/Rocking In Our Centre

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Rachael175

Phasing Out Patting/Rocking In Our Centre

Post by Rachael175 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:17 pm

Hey guys

I was wondering if anyone has ever been in a center where they don't 'pat' the children to sleep

Does anyone have any tips or experiences with this? Were trying to phase out patting/rocking

Its going to be fully implemented in about a month (manager decision not ours) id love to hear from yous
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Phasing Out Patting/Rocking In Our Centre

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:10 am

At one of my previous centres we didn't pat the children to sleep during rest time. We played rest time music (the same each day) and when the children lay on their beds we sat with them until they fell asleep. For those children who were use to being patted, it took awhile to get use to not being patted to sleep. They'd roll and move around on their beds, sit up and down but we had to remain firm and consistent. We had to constantly remind the children "it's rest time now please lay down" but eventually the children fall asleep and got used to not being patted or rocked.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:35 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Some kids don’t need it but others do and it’s a need of the individual child. the nurture and emotional connection between educator and child, a safe space to rest.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:35 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Make a list of the value of supportting sleep through safe touch.
Eg helps with self regulation
Teaches safe touch
Bonding with educator
Sence of safety
Keep it going

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:36 pm

FACEBOOK POST

My sons fondest memory was having an educator sit with him and pat him to sleep.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:36 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Most of my babies can self sooth now. We pat if needed but I found when you teach self sooth they sleep better and my parents love it. I go from patting child, to pat the mattress to just sit there. I can have the whole cot room asleep in 10 mins this way as you know who needs help and who doesn't.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:37 pm

FACEBOOK POST

It is apart of the new safe sleeping legislative requirements that we are not to pat or hold children to sleep.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

This boggles my mind... We are in Education & CARE !!! Where is the care and compassion to support a child to sleep by means necessary as they are accustomed to ? If it's a family or child request I don't see the issue....

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

Many of the times letting them self settle is the key as patting or rocking is considered forcing them to sleep unless they are babies and need to be comforted. Allow them to self settle for little bit but if any child struggle to fall asleep, gentle pat is ok. Slowly they learn to put themselves to sleep. Some children have dummies and some comfort blankie to help them self settle So depending on child's need it is fine.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:39 pm

FACEBOOK POST

What are the benefits of not patting/comforting children to sleep? Is this decision being made in their best interest or just to make the jobs of educators easier?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:39 pm

FACEBOOK POST

I agree with this. We have a number of children that happily settle themselves but others that like being pat. It also depends in my opinion what goes on at home and what do the parents want. If they rock or pat their children to sleep should this not be continued in care?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:40 pm

FACEBOOK POST

and babies or infants would benefit from having the physical comfort while they go to sleep, it helps to build connections and trust with their caregivers too

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

💯 if our society wasn't as it is the babies would be at home with mum being comforted and hugged and loved all day. I think its important while they are in care they get that nurturing for their carers, although not the same but as much as we can its important for their development

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

If parents want it then how can it be phased out?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:41 pm

FACEBOOK POST

I have worked in a centre where we were encouraged not to pat children to sleep. We left the children who would go to sleep themselves and stayed close to the children who needed help to get to sleep. We went from four educators sitting with the children to one monitoring the children who needed it. We had quiet corners for the children to self settle and reminded them to lay down. It did take about a month to completely remove all educators from patting children but it was so good once we did it.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

You shouldn’t really be deciding on behalf of the children if they have already become accustomed to this practice, so if the children ask or parents ask for this to help comfort them, then why not. The child or parent should be asked regardless.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

This is ridiculous! Why on earth be in a centre if you’re not going to soothe a child and comfort them.
Management of your team needs education in development and everything to do with children.
So many running without a clue
SMH 🤦🏼‍♀️

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:42 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Wow! Where has the compassion gone for our children? What sad detached institutions these so called "Care" settings have become 🤮 Shameful!!