"Challenging" Behaviour

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ThatJaimiKid

"Challenging" Behaviour

Post by ThatJaimiKid » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:20 am

Hello, We have a 4 year old who is just straight up abusive. (He is yet to be diagnosed as far as I'm aware). We have approved extra support to assist I'm the room for this child. The child will punch, hit, pinch, scratch and throw object when something is wrong. You can't try talking to the child to find their needs as this results in you becoming the target for his aggression.
I was literally running around the yard to get away from this child cos I didn't wanna be hit anymore and had no idea what to do. Another educator stepped in to stop him chasing and he began to hit her (she let him).
The child does this to mum at home and she just let's him. I am not his teacher, I have been told there is a behaviour management plan in place but haven't been shown. I imagine the strategies are things like, talk calmly, give him the ipad whenever he cracks it....

hchr1st13

Re: "Challenging" Behaviour

Post by hchr1st13 » Sat May 13, 2023 8:35 pm

Hi!

This definitely seems challenging. Are you a permanent educator in his room or a casual? Is the Behaviour Management Plan implemented in the service or is this one for home?

At my service, we also have some challenging behaviours like this. I would suggest following up on this Behaviour Management Plan and familiarise yourself with this. The Plan should outline indicators of when this child is becoming heightened and potential triggers. It should also outline strategies to support this child when they are in this heightened state.

The most important things to consider when a child becomes like this is your safety and the other children's safety. When you notice the child is beginning to become in this state, communicate with your other educators to bring the other children in a seperate space and perhaps engage them in a group time. If the heightened child is outdoors, bring the rest of the children inside and close the doors to seperate the space and vice versa. A familiar educator to this child should remain with this child but at a distance. If I was in this situation, I would in a calm voice say something like "You are safe now, I am here when you need me". Do not approach the child or attempt to calm them down that way. The best course of action is to let this child run around and let out their frustration and/or anger in the space as they need and take as much time as they need to calm down on their own. Ensure you can still see this child but remain at a distance for your own safety.

I personally believe that giving a child technology to help them regulate is not helpful for the child longterm and should be avoided in an education and care setting.

Your room leaders or certified supervisor should continue to communicate with this child's family, ensuring they are referred to other support services to help this child. Remember that this family is probably struggling too and will need all the help, support and wisdom they can get. Building respectful and meaningful relationships with this child and their family will ensure that the child gets the care and support they need.

Continue to be an advocate for this child and their wellbeing!

All the best!

ThatJaimiKid

Post by ThatJaimiKid » Tue May 30, 2023 8:06 am

Thank you for your reply. It is very well written and informative. Reading back on my post I want to apologise for the way I have worded it. After interacting with this child for a few weeks now, I am a lot more understanding of the situation. It is all about giving him space and time to work through his moment.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed May 31, 2023 1:06 pm

ThatJaimiKid wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:06 am
Thank you for your reply. It is very well written and informative. Reading back on my post I want to apologise for the way I have worded it. After interacting with this child for a few weeks now, I am a lot more understanding of the situation. It is all about giving him space and time to work through his moment.
That's so great to hear! This is a great way you have shown patience, understanding and support to a child who needed extra assistance and never gave up! Well done!

Hats Off to you!!

:geek:,
Lorina