Bullying Of Educators By Educators

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Bullying Of Educators By Educators

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:34 am

ANONYMOUS POST

I have recently gone back to work, starting out part time at a lovely centre I did my placement in. I am new to early childhood though I have experience with primary teaching before I stayed at home for my sons. It was tough starting out back at work again, in a new field at the age of 40+. I have the small luxury of choosing not to work if I don’t find my ideal workplace. So I waited 6months until there was a vacancy at this centre. The director and lead ECT share very much the same philosophy as I do, so I very much love their working ethics. As a new person, as with any other jobs, it is never easy to assimilate. All of the other staff are very welcoming except for the elderly cook and a casual member. These 2 have been with the centre for a very long time. Ever since I started as a diploma educator, the cook (also cert 3 casual) has been snippy with me no matter what I say. I get her passive aggressive comments even for a “Good morning”. The other casual, also in her 60s, treats me with contempt. They don’t talk to me when we are in the staff restroom. They would purposefully talk to everyone else in the room, talking past me.

To make sure I wasn’t being too sensitive, I had spoken to another 2 other staff who have joined a year before me. They confirmed they were treated the same when they started. The cook is there everyday, and sometimes I am left with her due to our shift schedules. I have tried to rise above them by ignoring them and not letting them get to me. I avoided them as much as I could. But there is only so much I can take. At my age, I think to myself surely I shouldn’t let myself be bullied like I was in primary school. I love my job and my director is such a lovely person. However, I cannot tell her what is happening to me because she and the cook have a long and close working relationship that looks beyond professional.

I have just completed 3 months’ probation and my director has been very encouraging. I don’t want to lose this job because of the 2 toxic people. But they dampen my spirits and I’m not sure how much I will be able to stay quiet. What do I do?

As educators, we would always call out children bullying and teach them about compassion, being kind etc. But as adults, we are tied by social conventions preventing us to speak up? Seems so ironic.

Do a lot of new educators (in terms of age, years of experience, years at the workplace) fall prey to the more senior members who seem like they are on a power trip? Senseless bullying makes me mad.

Lorina

Re: Bullying Of Educators By Educators

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:27 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Access your EPA program. Document comments, time and date and the tone of voice. If your Director is a professional person, she would take your concerns seriously, no matter her relationship with the Cook. If not, consider leaving. No one has to put up with that behaviour.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:28 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Speak out!!

Sometimes people don't realise what they are doing till someone else mentioned it and make them realised that their own behaviours are affecting the team or in this case you.
Don't take all personally but Im not agree with bullying either. What I can say if they do it with you is because they feel treated by you in somehow. The "somehow" is what you will find when you will both talk in the meeting with the manager.

If you wanna stay in the job my advice is write down all the events and talk with the manager. The manager will organise a meeting and hear both sides. After it should be a improvement plan on the table and employers behaviour policy ammend and handled for every employee to read again.
At the end of the journey if those people are still on the job and they haven't improved well, you are the only one if will stay or find a new place with new people.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:29 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Uggghhh, been there. It's awful, and can have lasting impacts on your mental health. No matter their relationship, this needs to be addressed with the director. Bullying between staff is a key contributor to staff turnover, and if your director genuinely values you and your work, they'll do what is necessary to keep you there and ensure your wellbeing in the workplace. This person is doing you, your director and your school climate a huge disservice in treating others poorly for a power trip. Personally and professionally, these bullies have no place in the education sector, or any workplace Prior to discussing this with others, it can be helpful to write out your true feelings about the issue just for yourself with all that stuff you're ruminating over. Then re-write it for the discussion removing the emotion and focussing on the facts. This helps you to process your emotions first and then is useful in managing the situation professionally. Wishing you all the best. You deserve it better.