Diploma through R.P.L

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Diploma through R.P.L

Post by dulciean » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Am just wondering how many of you might have RPL'd part/all of their Diploma qualification. I think my trainer said I can apply for RPL on about 8 units- I have done 4 (successfully!) so far, and am in the thick of 3 more. I am interested to know which units/modules you might have RPL'd and the amount of documentation you submitted. Did you find the process easier/preferential to working through the work-books? It's hard trying to squeeze everything in between being a mum, looking for work, running a home-oh-and I'm getting married in 2 weeks as well! gah! ;)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Diploma through R.P.L

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm

I RPLed 14 out of 18 units of my Diploma and so glad I did, all it took was 2 essays and 1 hour sitting with the TAFE assessor and verbally answering questions and showing her how I did my programming & planning etc.
Managed to finish my Diploma in 3 months because of this. The 4 I had to do were elective units + a unit about working with children with special needs (only because I had not had experience of this situation)

Miss Kerry
Participator
Participator

Post by Miss Kerry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 pm

fefe,

That sounds amazing :-). I have been enrolled in my advanced diploma for awhile and as much evidence as I have gathered, every time my trainer comes out she really says nothing, says keep paying and that she'll email me with an RPL date as she forgotten her diary :-(. Very sad that she says I can RPL it all but isn't really there to support the process.

To dulciean if you have found the previous RPL experiences easy then I'd totally go for it. I did my whole diploma by doing the modules, now I feel I have the experience required so I believe that the RPL process should be easier.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:56 pm

My TAFE assessor was amazing and I still (after a year) email her about things and she is still happy to answer questions etc that I have. If your trainer is not doing her job properly I would be calling the institute and asking for someone else who will actually support and help you with your study and RPL

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:31 pm

thanks for the feedback. fefe76- lucky you! i am submitting reams of evidence/documentation/proof for my RPL. its not so much difficult as clunky and time-consuming. I find it frustrating that a national qualification is moderated/delivered with so much variance.I will ask my trainer if I cannot also RPL 14/18 Units.
It seems NSW and QLD are so different with these things!
Maybe i should phone TAFE down here and get them to weigh in on it- my trainer is very good, but she is private and making her living from delivering her courses afterall.

smith76
Participator
Participator

Post by smith76 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:38 am

My trainer keeps telling me its easier to do the work than RPL and i keep saying why so im going to look at it more cause i want to get it done and completed.

Miss Kerry
Participator
Participator

Post by Miss Kerry » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:56 am

smith76,

I think if you know the subject matter well and can talk about what you have already learnt through you experiences, talk about the evidence you have gathered then go for it!

RPL can be a headache for the trainers too because they have to think about how to ask the correct questions, how to sift through the evidence ect, opposed to simply answering the questions and being right or wrong.

If that is what you want to do then stick to your guns, if like how about doing a few RPL modules, then if you find them harder you can always go back to the assignments.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:12 am

I'm getting married in 2 weeks as well! gah

Dulciean, how exciting, it's getting closer to your big day! Enjoy your wedding! I'm sure it will be beautiful, filled with lots of love to share with family and friends! Congratulations :mrgreen: !

Cheers :geek:,
L.A