Why must I plan the curriculum programs for my school age children while I am just a educator assistant?

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ViviChieng

Why must I plan the curriculum programs for my school age children while I am just a educator assistant?

Post by ViviChieng » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi,

I am currently working at the childcare centre just after completed my Certificate III in Children's Services (my pay rate is $17.30) and solely responsible looking after the school age children as a Educator's assistant. As for the vacation care, I was being told that I do not have lunch break. My lunch hour is the same as the children. Is it true? Another thing is that I have been told that I must plan the curriculum program for the schoolies for the month of February as it is my responsibility. Furthermore, on the starting of the first two weeks of the school term my working hours are from 7:30am - 4:00pm instead of 7:30-10:00am then 2:30pm - 5:00pm as agreed on the contract. Please advise on this situation. I am at the verge of quitting already.

Many thanks,
CY

Lorina

Re: Why must I plan the curriculum programs for my school age children while I am just a educator assistant?

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:34 am

Fist off, regarding your lunch break... Calculating your work hours working from 7:30 am - 4:00 pm, according to the Childcare Award you are entitled to 30 minute unpaid lunch break. Since you are not being paid for it you should take this AWAY from the children, having your lunch break with the children does not qualify as you are not really taking a break, you still need t supervise and deal with the children, you should be given time away from the children to have your lunch. You also paid for 2 paid rest breaks of 10 minutes each. I guess these can be covered by taking a longer lunch break, instead of 30 minutes, you can have 50 minutes.

More info on breaks and your entitlements can be found in the following topic: Childcare Award Wages: Info on Pay, Leave, Hours, Rosters, Breaks etc.

As for you planning curriculum programs, according to the Childcare Award you are classified as a "CSE Level 3" which states in the Award
Indicative duties: Assist in the preparation, implementation and evaluation of developmentally appropriate programs for individual children or groups.

So this basically means that you only have to assist not be responsible for the planning of the curriculum. If you were to take on the responsibility of planning the curriculum plan, which is equalled to a Diploma level then your pay should increase to at least a Level 3.4 which is around $21 an hour.

I was also just checking your current pay rate and according to the Childcare Award your minimum wage is around $19, so you are getting paid less than the minimum which you should talk to your director about. If they don't do anything about it, I'd ring Fair work Australia and take this issue further. You are getting paid less than what it states, which is not on!!

Hopefully I have given you so information to consider and it the centre you are working are paying you unfairly so I can only imagine what types of responsibilities they want to give to you which you are not qualified for. Maybe it's a good idea to find somewhere else. I mean would you want to continue working for a centre like this?

Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to help you out as best as I can,

Keep me updated on how you go discussing this with your employer... Hopefully you can get this issue sorted asap!

:geek:,
L.A

ViviChieng

Re: Why must I plan the curriculum programs for my school age children while I am just a educator assistant?

Post by ViviChieng » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:58 am

Hi Lorina,

Thank you so much for your reply and for all the information given. I do feel like I have been unfairly treated. I did approach the general manager of the centre to discuss the matter concerning my pay rate and my responsibilities. He said he will look into it but that was more than 3 week ago. With these information provided, I will print them out and show to the general manager. Hopefully he will take me seriously to increase my pay rate and review my job position. I really really appreciate your help and time. *hugs*

Dragonstorm
Participator
Participator

Post by Dragonstorm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:06 pm

hi Vivi

When I was Schoolies wrangler I didn't get my break at all. instead I got to finish early.
I know its tricky sometimes but as Lorina said if its your classification to do it, do it.
in my opinion you have been treated unfairly but you need to follow up with the manager. if you don't get a suitable answer go to fair work...are you part of a union?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:05 pm

ViviChieng wrote:Hi Lorina,

Thank you so much for your reply and for all the information given. I do feel like I have been unfairly treated. I did approach the general manager of the centre to discuss the matter concerning my pay rate and my responsibilities. He said he will look into it but that was more than 3 week ago. With these information provided, I will print them out and show to the general manager. Hopefully he will take me seriously to increase my pay rate and review my job position. I really really appreciate your help and time. *hugs*

No problem Vivi! I just hope you get this issue sorted so you can get what you deserve and what is states legally! I hate to hear that some centres are taking advantage of their employees and they shouldn't be able to continue. It's not necessary to be part of union and if your centre doesn't comply contact Fair Work Australia...

Hope you're doing well!

L.A

ViviChieng

Post by ViviChieng » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:17 am

Hi Lorina,

Unfortunately, I still unable to get hold of the general manager. Left him couple of messages stating that it's an urgent matter but still have not heard back from him. I am not with the union. Today, I just spoke to kristie from Fairwork Australia. I have been advised to write a letter or send an email to the general manager instead of waiting for his reply. She did mentioned that my pay rate does not sound right and if I do get terminated which I know it's going to be happening very soon. This week the centre manager has not been very understanding and supportive towards me instead she said some discouraging things and did not even acknowlege that the fact that I am planning the curriculum programs for the schoolies on my own by browing internet. If I do get terminated, I definitely will contact Kristie again and hoping she will take the necessary action to resolve this matter. One other thing is that I have completely gotten attached to all my children and they too. I feel really sad and it's unfair for the children as well as they told me not to leave them. They've even planned where to go for the next excursion with me. Sigh.

Depressed,
Vivi

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:42 am

Hi ViVi,

Have you had any luck yet? Were you able to get hold of the owner so you can get this issue sorted?

I am glad to hear that you contacted Fair Work Australia so you can take this further if it's needed too...

Don't give up,

L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:25 am

disgusted that some centres have no respect for regulation

leave, you do not want to be associated with a place like that

ViviChieng

Post by ViviChieng » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:48 am

Hi all,

Unfortunately no luck after i send a email to the general manager and numerous phone calls attempting to get hold of him. However, I did managed to speak to the HR Manager over the phone about my situation. The HR Manager did agreed that its not my solely responsibility to organize and plan the curriculum programs but the curriculum leader and the leading educator should be the one who are responsible for it and I only assist them in the planning the curriculum programs, that's all; no further action taken by her either. Furthermore, I even applied for a week off thinking the headoffice might get to me soon or try to resolve this matter for me while completing the curriculum programs on my days off. Sadly, my annual leave without pay were rejected and they still wants me to go back to work as normal. If I am not wrong, I reckon they wanted to me quit instead of them terminated me. The fairwork australia can only assist me when I get terminated by the company. How stupid of me, I even organize the curriculum programs for the whole month already.

Depressed,
Vivi

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:36 am

Vicki, your situation is completely unfair. It's no surprise that they are not willing to support you which they made clear by their actions, they don't care. What to do? Can you afford to quit? Maybe try to find another job in the meantime then when you find something leave. I don't think they will terminate you because since your fighting the issue they probably think you went to Fair Work and don't want to take that chance... Listen they have already stuffed you around, you're not in the mindset to work there because of what they are doing so you don't have an option other than to quit. You would rather leave then getting up each morning hating where you work...

So sorry to hear that it's not working out...

L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:57 am

As I said before, leave, if you can immediately. No good will come out of this. Find some casual work to tide you over. Dreading going to work each morning will only cause you problems, it is NOT worth it, believe me