Using social media in planning & documentation.

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
MissBree

Using social media in planning & documentation.

Post by MissBree » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi!
Last year I had a reflections diary that I would spend hours on each fortnight, to evaluate and reflect on our planning period, the children really loved the dairy and would often gather around and look at past experiences and activities, sparking lots of conversations. Some our our families would spend some time looking & reading but it would usually be the same families. After over hearing a parent comment, "if it's not on facebook, it's not important", I thought about asking parents how they prefer to hear about their child's day, a survey was formed and our families made it completely clear that they would get most benefit from getting social media updates about what their children had done during that session. Our social media page was resurrected and educators given access to post their information. We received an overwhelming positive response to our trial! Due to the popularity of social media, I will be using social media this year.
My question is, have you embraced social media to be more informative to families? How have you included your “posts” into your planning, evaluating & reflecting, saving you from double handling?
Bree

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Re: Using social media in planning & documentation.

Post by kristyl74 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 am

I desperately want to open a closed facebook page for my oshc families but the director is pretty much dead against it. I am going to have another go and sell it to her that I wont put photos up of the children or atleast not faces.. We did a survey and only one parent out of about 50 said no but that was basically because she doesnt have facebook.

I am going to plead my case....again :think:

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Thats really interesting. If I was a parent, I wouldn't vote for receiving a Facebook update. I want the photos and docs to be private and not on Facebook for everyone to see. Even if its a closed fb page, once the photos, etc.. are online, you pretty much have no control over it. If all parents are on-board with it, then yes it's fine. But even if 1 parent says no, we need to respect that. Some might give more importance to confidentiality that ease of use. If parents say "if it's not on facebook, it's not important", then its really terrible! So they dont have any interest on whats happening with their child at the centre everyday if its not on facebook? why are people so obsessed with facebook? something i'll never understand. :wtf:

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:32 pm

I understand where you are coming from with the photo thing because once they are posted then technically facebook owns them, hence why I think not putting faces in might help my case. But I have been working in oshc for 10 years and the time restricted parents I have dont have time to sit and read a sign or look at a book or be shown things but yet all can access facebook at a time convenient to them. I have sent home "about me" forms and got about 15% back. We leave vacation care forms on the desk and still have a huge percentage of people book there kids in last minute because they havent "seen" the forms. I want to use it to show activities and art, talk about things that are coming up, health tips, just anything in general relating to there children and our service. I have seen many facebook pages for services and have all been told from research how successful they are.. Being closed means only our parents can see it and people have to be approved to join, at least that is some type of security rather than an open page. I have no idea with the obsession but its there lol

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:55 am

MissBree wrote: My question is, have you embraced social media to be more informative to families? How have you included your “posts” into your planning, evaluating & reflecting, saving you from double handling?

Hi Bree,

From what I understand when using social media such as Face Book is generally used to promote the service. Such things as sharing photos of events, photos of the children engaged in experiences, photos of art, projects and displays etc. You could even add reminders of handing back forms in, upcoming events, excursions etc.

However due to confidentiality reasons it shouldn't be used to share information with parents about their child. When writing a post in Facebook all parents that have access to your centre's page will be able to view each others comments which doesn't make it confidential. This breaks the confidentiality policy and code of ethics. Even when you are uploading photos or discussing events/experiences etc on Facebook you should not be adding children's names or surnames and a disclaimers will need to be signed by all parents allowing the centre to post photos of their child on the social media site (Facebook). Your centre will also need to create a social media policy which informs others on what will be uploaded, how often, who will manage it, etc.

This is why it's important that Facebook should only be used to promote the service rather than another means of communicating. Yes, it's a very powerful tool to use however it must be done so in a respected manner to all those involved.

If parents do make a suggestion through Facebook you can add it onto your program as "parent input". If parents don't have time to hang around are read the daily diary you could always photocopy it and put in each child's bag to take home or email a copy to the parents. Using Facebook to directly communicate to each parent about their child's day is not appropriate because like I mentioned previously everyone can view each others comments and posts.

You said yourself how much the children loved looking through the daily diary and reflecting on their past experiences so why would you want to take that away.... By all means use Facebook but just be careful of the information you are providing. It's a great tool to share the happenings of a centre...

I am attaching some further information of guidelines to consider when using Facebook with your service.

[attachment=0]Guidelines-for-safe-use-of-social-media-in-your-childcare-service1.pdf[/attachment]
Just wanted to share my thoughts,

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MissBree

Post by MissBree » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:55 am

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing your thoughts,

I should have actually mentioned that out Kinder never post's pictures of the children, if pictures are posted they would be of an experience that has been set up for the day before the children arrive. We never post names or refer to children in a way that they can be identified. My "status updates" are usually written in narrative style, giving the parents an overview of what happened throughout the session. I do go into detail with my reflections diary that wont be made redundant as I mentioned, the children really love looking at, I wouldn't dream of tossing out such a great tool for creating rich and meaningful conversations.
The page is also used to send out reminders, get info out about special day and event's that are happening in and around the kinder.

My first reaction to the parent who made the comment about if it's not on facebook, it's not important was one of shock. Being a parent myself, I didn't understand why you wouldn't want to get involved personally in your children's education.............. each to their own I say.

I totally get that once it's on facebook, it's anyone's, no matter how tight the security settings are. Most of our families have one or both parents actively involved in the military services, so I guess the real bonus is, that dad or mum that is serving overseas, can see what their son or daughter has been doing at kinder.

We are very mindful of content and keep it broad, factual and "non identifiable". I understand and accept social media is not everyone's cup of tea, however it is working for us in our context at the moment.

Thanks Lorina for that info! Good luck Kristyl74!

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Non identifiable to a child, yes thats exactly how it should be - im a bit hopeless with words, i know what I mean just not how to say it lol

I know this sounds very sad but thats one of my biggest frustrations is the lack of time a parent has to hang for 5 and have a look at something or be shown something or see what a child has done.. I once held a big afternoon tea for families and out of 130 enrolled children we had about 6 families show up.. My parents always give lovely feedback about our service and we are spoilt like crazy on birthdays and special occasions such as xmas so know we are appreciated but there is a very very small percentage of parents that actually have the time to be involved or acknowledge.. I personally just thought it would be going with the times and knowing a great majority of parents have facebook and use it on a daily basis can keep upto date in there own time. I cant make parents read notices, as I said Ive given out surveys and alot dont come back. I feel alone with this but I really do think our families are time poor and what can I do, if you have any suggestions please by all means help :-)

I live and breathe work and want to do the best by all my families, they know this.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:14 am

kristyl74 wrote:Non identifiable to a child, yes thats exactly how it should be - im a bit hopeless with words, i know what I mean just not how to say it lol

I know this sounds very sad but thats one of my biggest frustrations is the lack of time a parent has to hang for 5 and have a look at something or be shown something or see what a child has done.. I once held a big afternoon tea for families and out of 130 enrolled children we had about 6 families show up.. My parents always give lovely feedback about our service and we are spoilt like crazy on birthdays and special occasions such as xmas so know we are appreciated but there is a very very small percentage of parents that actually have the time to be involved or acknowledge.. I personally just thought it would be going with the times and knowing a great majority of parents have facebook and use it on a daily basis can keep upto date in there own time. I cant make parents read notices, as I said Ive given out surveys and alot dont come back. I feel alone with this but I really do think our families are time poor and what can I do, if you have any suggestions please by all means help :-)

I live and breathe work and want to do the best by all my families, they know this.
I agree it can get so frustrating trying to get parents more involved in their children's learning just by filling out a few forms here and there... Sometimes I feel as if some parents don't appreciate or understand what really goes on behind the scenes. I mean we do more than just look after their child and I think a lot of parents aren't aware of how much work is actually involved... Yes Facebook and other social media sites are easier to get parents engaged as they can do so in their own spare time without being rushed off their feet.

As you may be aware here at Aussie Childcare Network we are currently working around the clock developing a new web application for our current Online Tools templates. This will enable you to use our templates on any device (ipad, mobile, tablets etc). In saying this it will become so much easier to get parents involved once we release this application. You can email or add parent input forms to your centre's FB page! So this leaves no excuse for parents not to have seen or haven't had the time to get involved! :thumbup:

If you have found that Facebook is working for you and your centre then that's great!

:geek:,
L.A

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:03 pm

Your a gem LA, always striving to make our lives easier.. and I for one appreciate all you do :-) :clap:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:50 am

kristyl74 wrote:Your a gem LA, always striving to make our lives easier.. and I for one appreciate all you do :-) :clap:
Thanks so much! That's really nice of you! :D