Using AI For Writing Documentation

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Using AI For Writing Documentation

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:05 pm

ANONYMOUS POST

We have been having a discussion with some of our Educators in regards to using AI to write observations and learning stories. In my opinion, even though it makes observations easier I do not think it should be used. I feel Educators will cut corners and not understand the purpose of observations if they are not written by the Educators themselves.

Has anyone begun using AI at the service? Is it beneficial? Is it appropriate to use?

Mim_V

Re: Using AI For Writing Documentation

Post by Mim_V » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:54 pm

I’ve not been using it to write my documentation. But I have used it to help me track development, strengths, interests and goals for the children. I’ve essentially manages to create a data base for each child and uploaded the ELYF and NQS along with the information from family surveys and my organisations policies, procedures and documenting requirements.

The way I use it is that I upload every observation, summative, learning story etc for each child into their own database. I can then have the AI track their development, change in interest, achievements, struggles and reference it back to the framework, also it is then able to provide me with summaries of a child at the end of the year.
I rarely keep these summaries as is, and often alter them with my own insights, but they are a useful basis to pull from.
I should mention that each child is identified only at their initials to avoid any confidentiality breech.

I think using AI can be really helpful as long as it is in support of your own work, not in place of it. As with all things, the keyword is moderation.

pinabthakkar

Re: Using AI For Writing Documentation

Post by pinabthakkar » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:14 am

I tried it once, and while it does speed things up, it feels a bit impersonal. The personal touch from educators adds a unique perspective that I think is crucial in understanding a child's progress.