Question for FDC Educators - Tablet or Laptop?

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
emilysnan

Question for FDC Educators - Tablet or Laptop?

Post by emilysnan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:12 pm

My lap top is about to die ,I am thinking of buying a Tablet with windows operating system,to only be used for my business,documenting,observationsand other record keeping,and then backed up to desktop,the one I am looking at has 2 cameras.would this work,or would a new laptop be the way to go.Any sugestions would be appraicated

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Question for FDC Educators

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:54 am

I think its a personal choice. If you can do everything you want on a Tablet then great if not then laptop is the way to go

RoslynTolcher

Post by RoslynTolcher » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:08 pm

I have a laptop and a tablet.I think the laptop is better as you can get more memory for them.Some of the tablets you can only get with a certain amount of memory and you can not add any on.So really do your homework with the tablet.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:32 am

Hi emilysnan,

I feel that you could never replace a laptop or a desktop to a tablet. You can use laptops for a lot more purposes than a tablet. Of course the memory, disk space, etc are one of the important benefits for a laptop but other than a lot of big applications and softwares will only work on a laptop or desktop. The pros for tablet will be its mobility, it's faster to boot up, and it's absolutely great for browsing, quick notes etc.. since it saves a lot of time on booting and its pretty much ready to use as soon you turn it on. The cons are, you cannot install big programs or softwares in it, sometimes usability can get a bit annoying especially without a traditional mouse and a keyboard which itself can be a useful tool when it comes to completing documentation fast since we are generally used to these, it can get hard to connect additional devices to tablets such as printers, etc since you need to rely on a laptop or a desktop for those functionalities.

I think that a tablet is certainly good as an add-on to a laptop but not as a laptop replacement. I use both tablet and a laptop. I mainly use the tablet when I am on the move or when I want to get online quickly and can't be bothered to turn on the laptop but I still rely on my laptop to do big works like completing documentations, doing assignments, etc... Another thing to point out is you cannot use the online tools in tablets or idevices since the PDF readers in these tablets does not have all the features and functionalities.

Hope this gives you an idea.

:geek:
L.A

emilysnan

Re: Question for FDC Educators - Tablet or Laptop?

Post by emilysnan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:11 am

Thank You all for your helpful replies ,I will go with a new lap top. Alot of good deals at the moment ,with the impending release of windows 8.Have an awsome day.