Queensland Curriculum guidelines

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
arti

Queensland Curriculum guidelines

Post by arti » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Hello Everyone

In couple of weeks I have to implement QLD Curriculum guidelines for my pre schoolers. My concern is if I implement this guidelines which is based on EYLF, does it have to be structured or only play based learning. Please share your thoughts and knowledge about this.

Thanks to all who share their valuable thoughts on this forum. At least once a day I check this forum to get my answers. It helped me a lot.
:inlove:

Lorina

Re: Queensland Curriculum guidelines

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:56 am

Hey Arti,

Thank you for your feedback! It's great to know you find this forum useful :thumbup: !

From what I understand, the EYLF is very much for "Play Based Learning". The children's day shouldn't have too much structure. There can be a routine but the children's learning is to be done through a play based approach. The child should always be the one to initiate their own learning (well most of the time). The EYLF also focuses on spontaneous experiences and following the children's interest. This basically means if a child or your group of children all of a sudden become interested in something (such as a lizard they saw in the playground), well then we as educators need to guide and assist the children with this interest.

I'm from NSW and this is how I believe the EYLF is intended to be, I'm not sure if it applies in QLD but as far as I know the EYLF is nationally recognized across Australia so it should be the same...

I will be happy to find out for you... If you have any further questions regarding the EYLF let me know and I'll try and help you out with what I can :D !

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

arti

Post by arti » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Hi L.A

Thank you so much for your guidance. I have been following children's interest but most parents asked me to teach their children alphabets, numbers and reading-writing skills. I do play some games for our transition time using alphabet and numbers. Should I make special time for these activities everyday?Should I invite children to practise writing their alphabets and numbers? I do encourage them to write their names on their piece of art work.
Waiting for your reply.

Thanks a lot.

regards,
Arti :kiss:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:34 pm

Hey Arti,

It is fairly common for parents of preschool children to ask you to teach their children the alphabet, numbers etc... You could always put this onto the program as parent input. Using the alphabet and letters during transition time is a good idea too... The thing is most parents don't realize that it's ok if their child doesn't know numbers and letters because they will learn it all at school. However if the children are showing an interest in it then by all means do it... You can add laminated number cards on the drawing table for the children to trace, laminate a strip of each child's name and put it on the drawing table. The children can pick out their own names and use them to copy their name onto paper. Another option which I use to do is on the drawing table I stuck a strip which had letters and numbers. So when the children wanted to write they had something to copy it from. Remember don't force each child to do it, set it up and if they are interested they will do it. I don't think it's necessary to make "preschool time" for the children to learn numbers and the alphabet, just incorporate it in the everyday experiences that you already provide and keep using it during transition time as well!

It sounds like you are already doing a great job!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:30 am

Hi Arti,

I have been introducing my children to alphabets and numbers though its not mandatory. Like L.A said, "they will be learning this at school" and "if the children are showing an interest in it then by all means do it..." Its not a bad idea to introduce it if you want. I guess its upto you.

I have so far got them to trace alphabets and numbers and my preschool kids love it...they look at it like any other activity like colouring, playing etc..

I use the worksheets available in this site and its pretty good..You can view them here: "Printables" :thumbup:

arti

Post by arti » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi L.A and Catchmeifucan

Thank you so much both of you. I got some extra ideas to introduce alphabets and numbers. please keep sharing your wealth of knowledge so that we enrich our knowledge bank.

Cheers, :clap:
Arti