Programming & Planning, HELP!!!!

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
MiMi

Programming & Planning, HELP!!!!

Post by MiMi » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi

Im currently working at a centre as a shared role of room leader and I need some advice on programming and planning.

I am not sure whether the program is appropriate for the children. I spoke to the other room leader about it and she said that it was fine. I spoke to the director about changing the program and she supported the idea. Before I want to implement any program changes I will like to know the basics of programming.

What should be implemented?

What needs to be included?

How to include the service philosophy?

Any other information would be great!!

Lorina

Re: Programming & Planning, HELP!!!!

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi MiMi,

There are so many ways a program can be developed but they all have to cover the developmental areas which are the following:

Cognitive Development
Creative Development
Langauge Development
Physical Development
Emotional & Social Development

After you observe a child you add an experience on the program that either the observed child needs or an emerging interest.

Observation is another important fact of the programming and planning process. By observing children, you can find activities, you have been planning and the materials you have been providing are producing the desired outcomes.

Each day you should be observing a child and the following week be programming activities for the children you had observed the previous week. When observing a child you will need to write down exactly what you see, exactly what the child is doing/saying.

To help program for your observed child think of an activity that will either develop the skill observed further, or practice a skill or to develop an emerging interest further...

Also on the program you could add teaching experiences that you may find beneficial to the children in the room.

Parent input and child input is also recommended to add to the program.

Its important to remember that for each activity / experience on the program you provide you must have an objective for it, a reason why you a providing that particular activity. What do the children gain from it.

Regarding your service philosophy you could add that as part of the objective for a particular activity / experience.

I hope this helps you out...

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi MiMi,

I do hope your programming is coming along...let us know how it's going.

I'd thought I'd add something to your programming and planning documentation (I know you already have lot to do already) but you should also be doing a daily diary and a daily evaluation (you could even do it a a weekly evaluation).

A daily diary is basically a recount of what each of the children did throughout the day. You can incorporate your activities on your program as part of the evaluation process. It doesnt have to be very long (you could even do it in point form). Throughout take note of one thing a child said or was doing an write it n your daily diary. You can have this displayed for the parents to read or even photocopy it for the parents take home to read. You can add follow up activities for the following week from the activities the children did on the day. Also remember you could add child input when necessary (try to get at least 1 a day).

A daily evaluation is basically an evaluation of how the day went...how group time went, transitions etc. You make a note of the things that may need to improve and you then follow it up.

Hope this gives you something to work on...

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

Through the various forum topics here, I've noticed there have been a few users having difficulties in programming and planning... I thought I'd write an article to share my ideas and suggestions and explain the whole process of programming and planning in a much simplified way.

There are so many ways to do it and sometimes it can get all too much if you don't have an idea on how to plan and prepare the childcare program. So hopefully this article will provide you with a greater understanding in developing an appropriate childcare program.

This article is called "Programming and Planning"and is available in this site, on our Resources page under "Childcare Professionals". Click here to read the article.