Planning for babies

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Breeza02

Planning for babies

Post by Breeza02 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:50 pm

I am after any advice on how you plan/program for babies. I'm so used to working with the toddlers for 6 years I am now struggling for ideas on how to cater for the babies!

Lorina

Re: Planning for babies

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi There,

Incorporating the EYLF within the Babies room can be a little challenging. It’s harder to focus on their emerging interests because you have to spend more time observing each baby to gain a better understanding of what they enjoy doing.

With babies, it’s important to get as much information as possible from their parents. Find out what each of them are doing at home, any milestones that they have reached, which can be added onto the curriculum plan. Even if a parent says that on the weekend they went to the beach. You can incorporate this into the curriculum plan by setting up a sand pit that the babies can engage in or even a sand painting activity. From here, you can extend on it further by adding water to the sand or even adding shells. Once you start from a basic interest then it’s easier to extend on it.

Even the smallest interest that a baby shows can be extended upon and added into the program. If you have mirrors in your room and the babies enjoy looking at themselves in them, then you can add dress up hats. Put a hat or a scarf on the baby and let them look at themselves to see their reaction. From here you can extend upon it further by taking photos of each baby in dress ups and putting it at their height so they can see it.

These are just examples on different ways you can incorporate interest and ideas into the program and how you could possibly extend upon them. Don’t forget to keep talking to the parents about what their baby is up to at home and you can add this onto the curriculum plan as well. A parent doesn’t have to “write” something in order for it to be validated. Just adding the parent input onto the program itself, shows you are documenting.

If you need any further assistance let me now,
Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Breeza02

Post by Breeza02 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:03 am

Thankyou so much for your response, it has given me some really good ideas about what I can incorporate into my curriculum. My main problem is having the time to implement activities. Having 12 babies in my room most days it feels like I am either changing happiest, preparing and giving bottles, settling for sleeps or comforting. I struggle with this as I feel.like I very rarely get to just sit and play with my babies

suzej

Post by suzej » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:19 pm

oh Breeza02 I so hear you. I have come from pre prep. Now instead of talking I have nappies, and bottles and upset babies and teething, and so it goes. Cleaning and laundry. No time for observing it seems. I try the easy way out. Use nappy changing to interact. Singing while you are working . I have been in this room 4 days and they respond to that very well. playing with banana, it is everywhere, but leads to fingerpainting. I have collected my screw top containers and put colored pegs in it. They love the pegs. Count them , name the colors, even if you do not have the time I talk to them while I am tending to someone else. One of the older ones was trying to put the lids on ( they are different sizes. I read books at meal times to those who have already eaten. Seems like there are always some up, some asleep , some hungry , some just eaten. A challenge for sure but you can do it. Good luck

saz_123

Post by saz_123 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:31 pm

I know how you feel, I struggle finding time to spend with my babies too, so busy trying to get every thing else done. I find I only really get one on on time mostly but its good for noticing their development and interests. Using nappy change and sometimes sitting with them in the sleep room provides a really settled time for you to just be with them and even let those new ones get that little bit more comfortable with you. It is a great room to be in though :D Have fun!

happynursery

Post by happynursery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:05 pm

I too have gone from pre-school to nursery and found it hard to start with. we don't do 'observations' anymore as they are outdated and not relevant as it is all child interest based. we do more learning stories and I find having a camera in hand is great for not just capturing moments but looking back at and remembering what they did....you cant really 'plan' for babies...they loose interest fairly quickly and don't have a very long attention span. its hard but I've tried to get into the habit of 'extending' with an activity straight away. it has to be simple. photos are great to show 'evidence' of this happening too. I will throw together a sensory/exploring box with things as simple as paper patties, balls, scrunched up paper, plastic cups, pegs, phones....a lot of things happen and you can extend on it with simple things...pretending to talk on the phone...putting pegs in cups....throwing balls....My advice is think smaller and simple. I had to learn to do that.