Kindergarten Programs

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Kindergarten Programs

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:34 am

ANONYMOUS POST

My questions are in regards to kindergarten both 3 & 4 year old, I have only ever experienced a kinder program as a set time session with before and after kinder care if required, session starting at 9.00 finishing at 4, following school terms. How do some services allowed to have children come and go at any time? My second question is, are kinder programs meant to be structured like a more simplified version of school? Especially if here in Victoria they display the funded sign, are they not ‘policed’ or monitored more? As an ECT in training I feel like a lot of children are so far behind in their skill levels because they are still exposed to a ‘daycare’ type experience rather than preparing for school… thanks

Lorina

Re: Kindergarten Programs

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:26 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Hmm. How far into your studies are you? As kindergarten should be playbased and NOT like a school setting. We are not there to teach then about letters, numbers or how to write. Children in kindergarten are most importantly there to build on their social skills. We should not be pushing the school system into kindergartens. KIndergarten should be play based, focused on the children's interests, needs and strengths, with teacher initiated and child initiated activities.
I'm what ways do you feel the children are behind?

Lorina

Re: Kindergarten Programs

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:26 pm

FACEBOOK POST

As an ECT your kinder program can be whatever you make it as long as you are following your states guidelines and it is okay based. Kinder is not school, regardless of the setting (C& K Vs Long Day Care) and prep is for getting ready for school.

Parents have to work so sessional kinder doesn’t work for every family that’s why long day cares offer kinder programs.