how to start off your program and incorporate obs into it

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
bek

how to start off your program and incorporate obs into it

Post by bek » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:58 pm

hi all.

i haven't go a clue on this EYLF. although this site has heaps of information, but i am a person that needs to see it not read it. :thumbdown:

my question is, how on earth do i start a program? i am wanting to know which will be best for me to use (daily or weekly) and i work as a fdc. and also with the learning stories etc, how do i put them onto the program etc. :sweating:
i am really stressing over it all.

does anyone have example programs, learning stories etc for me that they could post on here so it shows me how and what your doing so i can understand it all. i want to use the programs that are exampled on this site as they look great and look simple to use, but i'm having trouble starting it all - ive just come off maternity leave and my previous employer didn't want to train me before going on leave.

thank you :)

123gcj

Re: how to start off your program and incorporate obs into it

Post by 123gcj » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:29 am

Hi i am a FDc worker to but have just started work in a centre. I like to mind map my program and put a new one in each week, but queit often carry activities over from last week, coz maybe the kids liked them or we didn't get a chance to do it. I don't really do a daily learning story i have a daily diary that i keep. what i do is once a week i take an ob of one child or even once a day if i get time. then i access the ob and put in place follow up activities for this child and link an elyf to this activity. this in the next weeks program i add in the activity for that child and it may be a group expereince or it may be just for that child depending on what you are wanting to get out of the activity for the child. then at the end of the week i also write up an evaluation about how the week went did the program work etc. and this then helps you plan for the next week activities. Look at the examples of the learning stories. Also you should have all the new books on the victorian Early learning frame work most of those book have great examples of obs and learning stroies etc.
hope this helps

bek

Post by bek » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:35 pm

Thank u. Will look at that too :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:28 am

Hi Bek,

Completely understand where you're coming from... don't worry we are here to help you out! :thumbup:

Whether you want to use a daily or weekly program is entirely up to you. Although a weekly program I think is the most typical one to use. When you are starting from the beginning over the course of the week, identify what the children's interest are, observe what they enjoy playing with and write these experiences onto the program. So, basically you write up each activity or experience the children were involved in over the week onto the program plan. Now when writing up the daily diary (this has to be done each day) add particular detail to the the learning experiences that took place throughout the day. If a spontaneous experience took place then write about that explaining what happened, children's comments, etc or you can write about the different activities the children were involved in. From here, try and include some extension ideas that the children can participate in and you can add that to the following weeks program.

Also, if you are observing children over the course of the week you could also add these experiences onto the program itself. In working out what's to be added onto the program, it's basically the activities and experiences from the information you gathered using child input, family input, child interest etc.

I understand you also wanted to see some samples of how to complete particular documentation and learning stories etc. In the "online tools" support forum I have uploaded completed forms so you can get a better understanding of how to fill them out.

Here is the link: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/c ... html#p4453

Hopefully this should make it easier for you,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

bek

Post by bek » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:46 pm

thank you heaps L.A. :)