HOW TO LINK THE OUTCOMES, PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES TO EXPERIENCES?

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
lisap1980

HOW TO LINK THE OUTCOMES, PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES TO EXPERIENCES?

Post by lisap1980 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi everyone, love reading the posts on the forum but theres something that im just really confused about. How do we know what outcomes to link to each activity or expereince we are setting out on our program for the children or on our learning strories. Reason im asking is because we had DHS come for an inspection and apparently all our programs are not up to standar because or expereinces are not matching to the outcomes. So therefore how do we know which outcomes each expereince goes under?

Same as the practices and principles, when refer to our learning stories how do you know which one to relate it to??

Sorry but we are all confused and our director refuses to send us to any PDs so we are trying to figure it out ourselves....im going to buy books on the EYLF as we dont have any at all.

If there is any recommended readings you guys suggesst please let mwe know.

also about learning stories, once you have done the "whats next", are you meant to do a follow up of what happened and then continue on the next learning story from that expereince or do you do a totally differnt learning stroy for that child??

Also i have read alot about people 'keeping childrens records to track their outcomes and where they are heading etc", how do you do this exactly??? Sorry for the bother but i would love to get as much information as possible.

Thanks so much everyone

Lisa

Lorina

Re: HOW TO LINK THE OUTCOMES, PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES TO EXPERIENCES?

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Lisa,

I'm surprised to hear that DHS mentioned that the outcomes are not matching the experiences. As far as outcomes, you can use up to 3 or 4 per each experience if you want... When adding experiences onto the program they have to be for a purpose and this is where the outcomes come into play...you can't just add random outcomes for the sake of it. For e.g, if one of the experiences I had setup was "adding dinosaur figurines in block area" the outcomes I can add for this can include the following: 2.3, 4.1,5.1... because these are the L/O the I want the children to achieve through this particular experience. You just need to find the best suitable one.

Have you got the EYLF educators guide? This booklet is very helpful as it breaks down each learning outcome and sub learning outcome and shows evidence and examples of how a child achieves each one. Maybe you can refer to this for now...

Regarding the learning stories, with "what's next" I usually add this experience onto the curriculum plan for the individual child. I usually use the "what's next" experience I have planned from the learning story, for my observation (which is a separate document). Using this experience as part of an observation enables me to follow up and extend on the child's learning from the learning story itself and provides more of a flow through my documentation. So simply... I write a learning story and I use the what's next experience as part of my observation documentation...

I'm also adding links to the following articles available in Resources, Childcare Professionals. It may help you further:

Understanding EYLF

How to write a Learning Story

Hopefully this gives you a bit of an idea,

Let me know if you need further info,

:geek:,
L.A