EYLF & other 'curriculums'

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

EYLF & other 'curriculums'

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:03 pm

I work for a centre that has their own 'curriculum' (?) or learning framework, perhaps would be the better word

What happens in centres like this with the EYLF becayse obviously they run on another framework.

How can you organise, plan etc the room / children when you do no observations on the children :?: :?

I have never come across a place where this is no observations, planning and following up on things, no developmental checklists etc ... nothing .... just the odd learning story ...is that enough?

Lorina

Re: EYLF & other 'curriculums'

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Hey Fefe,

How are you?

You've raised an important concern and I do have alot to say about it... Unfortunately I don't have time to get into it right now as I have to go... I'll have some time tomorrow to reply back to your question...

Hope you're not working to hard...

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Hey Fefe,

I’m surprised to hear that the centre you work at doesn’t have programming or observations of the children…. This is a necessity it is one of the requirements of the National Quality Standard (NQS). The NQS is basically a government rating system childcare centers need to imply within their service. One of the quality areas within the NQS is “Educational Program and Practice” and it states that in “Standard 1.2: The program for each child takes into account their strengths, capabilities, culture, interests and experiences”. It also mentions within these points that “Each child’s learning and development is assessed as part of an ongoing cycle of planning, documenting and evaluating children’s learning” and “Critical reflection and evaluation of children’s learning and development both as individuals and in groups is used as a primary source of information for planning and to improve the effectiveness of the program and teaching strategies”.

The EYLF is an approved learning framework throughout Australia in all early childhood settings. Most childcare centers should have the EYLF implemented at their centre by now and it should be taken into effect by January 2012…

I think the one issues with the EYLF that there is no “right or wrong” way to implement within a centre. The framework provides the basis and I guess you implement it the way you interpret the information given. So, as long as you can provide evidence and documentation which fits into the EYLF then you are able to show that you are enhancing children’s learning and development.

Even when implementing the EYLF you still need to provide a curriculum plan, maintain observations and document learning stories. Yes, learning stories are a part of it but not the entire thing… In regards to developmental checklist there is no need to use this as part of evidence for children’s learning anymore because it’s not necessary… The EYLF is a new approach to children’s learning…

So, a childcare centre that doesn’t do any programming, planning, observations to support children’s learning is basically not supporting children to their full potential and it’s a bit of a worry…

See, I told you I had a lot to say!

L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:35 pm

hmmm well i was thinking along the same lines

since i was in a montessori we did montessori but we still had to meet the NQS, so we almost did double the paperwork because we did our montessori checklists, obs etc and then did other observations and checklists more to meet the national standard.

In my eyes it does not matter what curriculum or framework you follow you need to do some proper observations of the child to determine how to get them to the next step... NQS or no NQS

I know the EYLF is very open to interpretation but sorry excuse my language this is taking the piss. Doing 1 learning story a month and sticking it in a book to me is not doing much. There is no follow up on these learning stories or anything so what is even the point of the learning story if not to use it to encourage the child to whatever activity he may next be ready for.

Play based or not unless the "toys" materials etc are there for the child to "spontaneously" use then whats the point. What use is it having a bunch of children using the same toys day in day out month after month?? What are they learning? I think nothing and I am hating that nothing new is being introduced to the children.

Compared to my last centre the children of the same age at this centre seem developmentally far behind, they are emotionally behind, and language wise behind, its pretty scary.

I wish I could change something but I cannot. Another GL also says she doesnt understand not having proper programming as she is used to it from past centres shes worked at.

Personally I feel a few of the GLs wouldnt be able to cope with the paperwork involved as just sticking artwork and a learning story is hard for them and they have empty porfolios of children who have been in class for months

I wish these type of places would get someone through who would shake em up a little.

Why should centres where staff slack off and do nothing more than show up every day stick paint or play doh in front of a child stay open and the staff get the same money as centres and staff who really care about the children and get resources and think of new things and ideas for the classroom and give the child the best start they possibly could....its disgusting and I am disgusted.

End of my rant
Sorry I get very emotional and worked up about this all

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi Fefe,

I know where you are coming from! In my experience I have also noticed the way the children are in behaviour, listening, speaking, socializing etc and how it varies from different centres. It's so interesting to see that children who attend centres that have great resources and equipment, great staff etc are far better off than children who attend centres that have less resources and staff who couldn't care less... It does make a developmental impact on the children thats for sure!!!

Anyhow I agree with both your comments and I do think that many childcare staff use the EYLF as an excuse for lame teaching practices saying it's part of the EYLF when clearly it is not! Seems as if the EYLF has done nothing for those centres who practically have no idea... what a shame!!!

End of my rant
Sorry I get very emotional and worked up about this all

Good to see you are passionate about it! There is nothing wrong with that...its actually a good thing! :thumbup:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Unfortunatly I think the fact the EYLF is so open to being implemented in various ways makes it not very user friendly IYKWIM.
Sadly I think most people need a more specific curriculum that they can follow correctly rather than a more open (vague???) one that they follow incorrectly.

I also think a lot falls on Directors to ensure that staff are doing the right thing and working within the guidelines of the EYLF and National Standards.
To me it does not seem hard to make sure that all GLs in a centre and planning & programming correctly, recording developmental checklists and milestones..... there should be more accountability and more frequent checks on whether the correct paperwork is being done by teachers

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Hey Fefe,

You made an interesting comment about the EYLF not being user friendly… Yes, to some extent I’d agree with that. When the EYLF first came out and I was trying to RESEARCH about the EYLF it became very clear that not a lot of help was being offered. Fair enough there was an abundance of information out there but no one was willing to share their samples, how they document or give ideas on how to practically implement the EYLF at a centre. It became frustrating because before you actually understand something you need to see it, experience it and understand it. It honestly took me a couple of reads until I began to understand what the EYLF is all about!
I also think a lot falls on Directors to ensure that staff are doing the right thing and working within the guidelines of the EYLF and National Standards.

I do believe that some directors put sole responsibility of programming and planning onto group leaders and I also understand that as a group leader it is part of your job responsibility. However, I believe that directors have a responsibility to train and inform group leaders of the correct way of programming and planning and make sure all the team understands the work involved. I also think it is necessary for directors to ensure that sufficient time is given to group leaders to ensure all work is done!

L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:04 pm

I guess I am just thinking in terms of if and when I become a Director what I could do to ensure that my staff were doing the right thing.
I just feel bad for the children as they are the ones who miss out when they have teachers who are not committed or committed but have no idea how to go about doing the paperwork or time manage etc.
My previous Director used to check everyones programming folders, checklists, obs etc every Friday to ensure we were all on top of what we needed to be done and that it was being done correctly.... some people moaned and didn't appreciate the "checks" but I think it was a simple way to make sure that work was being done and if someone wasnt on track or not doing thing correctly they could be taught the right way to do it.