Emergency care

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
miss_dora

Emergency care

Post by miss_dora » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Can emergency care only be used in a true emergency or for example can it be used if the room is just simply overbooked?? need to know for my assignment, any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Lorina

Re: Emergency care

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:55 am

Hi Miss Dora,

I just checked out the Childcare Act and they do mention the requirements needed for emergency care. I've added the details below...

36 Display of notice about groups and emergency care (1) This section applies to the licensee of a centre based service, other than a school age care service, if the number of children in a group is more than the prescribed limit because emergency care is being provided to a child in the group. Child Care Regulation 2003 No. 189, 2003 (2) The licensee must display, at an appropriate place at the child care centre accessible to parents and guardians of children in the group, a notice stating that the number of children in the group is more than the prescribed limit because emergency care is being provided to a child in the group. (3) The notice must be headed ‘EMERGENCY CARE’ or have a similar heading. (4) The content of the notice must appear, in prominent and legible characters, in print no smaller than 18 point.

I think that Emergency Care is required only for an emergency situation because providing care for more children than stated in the centre license is actually a breach of regulations that's why I guess you need to legally display a sign to inform parents of what is happening. If your room is simply overbooked I think it's poor management from whoever is doing the bookings... :roll:

Hope this helps,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

miss_dora

Re: Emergency care

Post by miss_dora » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Thans so much for the info!! The scenario came up in an assignment, however i also had a friend who was working in a centre where they overbooked the rooms and just put emergency care signs up when all the other rooms were full. :/