Do You Need To Evaluate An Activity Each Time

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
foxinahat

Do You Need To Evaluate An Activity Each Time

Post by foxinahat » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi everyone,
Apologies if this or similar has been asked previously.

When writing an observation after you have written 'What's next?' do you need to evaluate an activity every time?

My educational leader says yes. She calls it a 'follow up' and says you need to pick one follow up activity, implement it and evaluate it within a week of the original observation.
I was reading the Early Years Learning Framework in Action and noticed in the examples they have a 'What's next?' that is an overall strategy for an extension not just one activity and there is not an evaluation.

So basically what do I do as I am a bit confused? I recently became a group leader and I just want to do the best job possible.
Thank you!
Emma.

Lorina

Re: Do You Need To Evaluate An Activity Each Time

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:52 am

Hi Emma,

You're right... Follow Up/What's Next doesn't have to be another activity like you said... It could be a strategy to implement, or it could be adding something to the environment to benefit the child or focusing on a particular routine etc. Evaluating these is difficult because it takes more than one observation to see if the Follow Up/What's Next has achieved the overall goal. So, instead you could use a learning story, photos, etc. in the future to follow up on the strategy you implemented in What's Next. This doesn't have to be done straight away or within a week. It could be done a few weeks later.... Or whenever you feel the goal has been achieved by the child. When this occurs go back to the original observation and in "What's Next" add a date and jot down where it has been evaluated.Just so you can keep track of it and so you can link the documentation between each other. I just find it easier when I look back I can follow the links through...

I hope this makes sense...

Let me know if you have any more questions,

:geek:,
Lorina

foxinahat

Post by foxinahat » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks Lorina.
I know some observations should have extensions but sometimes I just don't feel it's organic to pick a specific or particular experience (what if they don't like it?!) and 'encourage' the child to do the activity just so I can do an evaluation. I would much rather provide the opportunity and then it's up the child to do with it what they will even if it takes longer than a week. I understand that sometimes you could do it straight away though eg. yellow sensory book followed by reading a colour book.
I am currently in the nursery room (having moved from 3-5 year old room) so it's a bit slower in there! I don't feel like I have to evaluate one on one time (to develop a bond with a child) or regular occurrences like singing or reading ect. Unless I have to?
Sorry for all the questions!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:45 pm

You're right! I think it takes more than one experience or multiple attempts for a child to achieve an overall goal that we are using for the evaluation. Just because a child may be able to do it once, it doesn't necessarily mean they understand it. That's why if we offer the evaluation activity over a period of time then we can truly see whether or not the child has achieved the goal (learning outcome). With the nursery, you can focus on gross/fine motor skills, interests, observe new milestones such as standing without support, sitting without support, feeding themselves etc. You don't have to always focus on evaluating the bonding and the regular routines...

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:48 pm

I providing you with the following that will help you to gain an understanding of how children achieve outcomes and what you can do to promote outcomes. Thus will be helpful during evaluation when you're thinking about strategies or techniques to offer instead of a one time activity:

Children Achieving Outcomes
Educators Promoting Outcomes

Hope this helps,

Lorina