changing program

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
123gcj

changing program

Post by 123gcj » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi all can everyone please share with me how they go about evaluating there program and changing it to a new experience for the next week program. E.g. say you have had sandplay in your program under identity for a few weeks and feel that you need to change and move on to a new experience such as bodu parts.
thanks

Lorina

Re: changing program

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Ok so from what I've understood it sounds like you are having trouble in extending on children's interest/learning which can then be added to the program. So, first of all you need to start by evaluating the experiences on your program. This should be incorporated into your daily diary. In your daily diary you can break it up into Indoor Play and Outdoor Play. In indoor play you evaluate the experiences on your program that happened indoors and then the same for outdoors.  Don't worry if you have 10 different activities on your program they don't need to be evaluated in one daily dairy you can do it over the course of the week. So this means when you read through your daily dairies throughout the week each activity listed on the program should be mentioned at least in 1 daily dairy during the week  (hopefully this makes sense). 

When adding extension ideas which then can be incorporated into the program the following week pay attention to what the children enjoy doing and what they are interested in. It's also a good idea to add your ideas when evaluating your program in the daily dairy itself. By doing it this way all you need to do is add the previous date from your daily dairy where the extension idea is which will then show a link to your program the following week. So, for e.g. In my daily dairy for Friday 20th April I wrote about a spontaneous creative experience that took place in my room of the children doing a collage using sparkles. Since they enjoyed it so much for the following week I will set up an extension experience by doing glitter painting. I always try and come up with 3 to 4 different experiences that I can extend upon which then can be added onto the curriculum plan. 

Hopefully this should give you an idea on where to start, 

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: changing program

Post by cathiek » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:01 pm

I agree with LA, it is about building on from the children's interests when programming. I put out a science table the other week for my kids and there was so much interest I intend putting in a simple science experiment into the program each week. It doesn't chucking out the other things I have to assess on or was thinking of, but it does mean observing the things the kids are interested in and building upon this. It is great to see them have such an interest and would be a shame not to pick up on these things.
Cathie