Just starting to think about opening an OOSH

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
hannah8

Just starting to think about opening an OOSH

Post by hannah8 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:44 pm

I'm a total newbie to this field, so thanks in advance for your patience with me!

I live in a small country town in NSW where there are many families with children, but only two pre-school/ELC options, and no OOSH. All other services are at least 30 minutes' drive away.

I think there is - or would be - demand for an OOSH service, and I'm thinking about whether I could open one.

With a young child of my own, I'd prefer to do after-school care only, and perhaps holiday activities.

I have started some research and was surprised to read that OOSH staff do not need to have any qualifications (I am qualified to Masters level but not in relevant areas, and have no childcare experience). So my first question is - is that true? I have a WWCC but am amazed there are no other qualification requirements.

I know of a well located property that could potentially be suitable, I think, but before I proceed further I thought I would ask if there is a "basics" page that I could refer to, as I know nothing about the CCB, and am only just starting to think about activities, staffing ratios, costs, age/number of kids, etc.

Thank you!

Lorina

Re: Just starting to think about opening an OOSH

Post by Lorina » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:51 pm

HI!

It's a great idea to open up an OOSH in your local community especially if the needs are there!

Before starting any service, you need to become an approved provider. This gives you approval to start operating. You must apply and go through an application process providing all relevant documentation.

Please go through the following it will explain the process and provide all relevant information:

Provider Approval

Let me know if you have any further questions.

:geek:,
Lorina