How to start a childcare business

FAQs on starting a career in childcare, starting a childcare centre, job interviews, childcare qualifications FAQs, childcare wages, becoming a teacher and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
User avatar
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:29 am

Re: How to start a childcare business

Postby socialispiice » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:10 pm


Following will help you
Contact your local country municipality. ...
Select a location. ...
Contact your county's zoning office. ...
Prepare your facility for inspection. ...
Schedule necessary inspections. ...
Obtain necessary licenses. ...
Obtain necessary insurance. ...
Comply with appropriate tax laws.
More at:

Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Re: How to start a childcare business

Postby Jamessmith » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:11 pm


Check this link. This link is helpful for your Business . ... -business/


User avatar
Posts: 12081
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Re: How to start a childcare business

Postby Lorina » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:53 am

Isabela wrote:Hi Lorina

How are you? Hope you still remember our conversation, anyway

I have one question,

I will be the owner/operator of my Childcare centre I am planning to do mix age group, I would like to have at least 15-25 children and just for example if i have 25 children a day how many hours an ECT required to work with me?

Hi Isabela,

It's nice to hear from you! How's everything going?

In regards to an ECT, for 25 children and under, you need access to an ECT for 20% of the time. Here is some information I received from ACECQA:

As per regulation 130 of the Education and Care Services National Regulations, if the approved number of places for children preschool age or under at a centre-based service is fewer than 25, the service must have access to an early childhood teacher working with the service for at least 20 per cent of the time that the service provides education and care.
(2) To comply with subregulation (1), the early childhood teacher may be working with the service by means of information communication technology.
(3) For the purposes of this regulation the period that an early childhood teacher works with a centre-based service may be calculated on a quarterly basis.

Therefore, to implement this requirement within your service you should calculate the total amount of hours that your service educates and cares for children across a three month period. Twenty per cent of the total from this calculation is the amount of hours you are required to have access to an early childhood teacher (ECT).

For example, in a five week period, an ECT could work with the service for one day per week for five weeks, or for one whole week of the five. In both of these cases, the ECT would be working with the service for 20 per cent of the time.

The ECT may work with the service by means of information communication technology (i.e. digital communication, email, phone etc.). Therefore, while it may suit the functionality of your service, the ECT does not have to be on the service's premises.

I hope this helps answer your question!


Check out our Resources: Articles | Activities | Printables & Worksheets | EYLF Templates
Documentation App for Educators: Appsessment - Childcare App

Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:31 am

Re: How to start a childcare business

Postby Isabela » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi Lorina, James and Socialispiice

Thank you all for your response, here's what I have done so far

Applied and Approved are the following:

Business name
supervisor certificate
provider approval

now what i need to do wait for the provider approval to come and then I will start to get everything done,
like hiring a builder to give a quotation or property survey, what need to be done eg. i need a builder to install a 3 toilet and sink
remove the devider between dining room and living room so I have the space open.


1.) Do you guys know an accountant or firm that specialized in childcare tax and payroll?
2.) can I hire someone to help me create a policy and procedure?
3.) how about the incident reports and forms etc. do i have to create one?or acecqa will provide them?

Thank you all for your help!

Return to “Career In Childcare”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Subscribe to Newsletter Updates

© 2009-2017 Aussie Childcare Network. All Rights Reserved.