how many learning stories

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
hotpies2006
Participator
Participator

how many learning stories

Post by hotpies2006 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:35 pm

hi there i have just started doing learning stories and i was wondering how many and/or doing you have to do a week/moth on each child it is a little confusing as i get different opinions, just want to know if i am doing two much or to little as i am doing lots more paperwork and i need to find a happy medium or i will go nuts lol :lol:

Lorina

Re: how many learning stories

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi Hotpies,

I usually write up learning stores for any spontaneous or children's interest that happens. It could be either weekly or fortnightly depending on what the children's current interest are. For e.g. today one of the boys in my room wanted to play with balloons. So we blew up balloons and the children caught them, threw them, sat on them, popped them etc. This was a spontaneous experience that emerged so I took plenty of photos and wrote up a learning story about it... Like you said I don't have time to write a learning story every day so I try to do 1 every couple of weeks or so. I include the children that were participating in the experience. I just photocopy the learning story and add it to each child's portfolio...

:geek:,
L.A

hotpies2006
Participator
Participator

Post by hotpies2006 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:41 am

thankyou so much L.A thats helps me big time :D

ericadungo

Post by ericadungo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:47 am

Hi everyone,
Im new to this website and im loving everyone's communication and input!

Just wanted to know if this goes for VIC state?

If so, is it ok if the educators do a weekly or fortnightly individual observation of each children?

Regards
Erica

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:58 am

Hi Erica,

Welcome To Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

In the Regs it doesn't state how many obs/learning stories need to be completed to fulfill requirements. As long as there is ongoing evidence of supporting each child's individual needs, skills, development etc. reflected through the program (obs).

You can do weekly, fortnightly or monthly observations on each individual child. On your weekly curriculum plan however you will need to show the individual experiences for the child you have observed even though you may only observe that child once in a week/fortnight/month. If you were to do monthly observations for example the easiest way to keep track is on a monthly calendar divide the children up over the month, so you know which child to observe on that specific day. This works well if you have a lot of children in the group. To record all the observations, you will only have to do 1 or 2 a day. However when recording observations, at the same time you would also be following up on extension of learning for the individual child which you recorded the ob for the previous month.

Im sorry I hope I didn’t confuse you more!

:geek:,
L.A