Where to do my Cert III (VIC)

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Barbie
Participator
Participator

Where to do my Cert III (VIC)

Post by Barbie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:07 am

Hi all looking to start my Cert III in the next few months.
Based on where i live I have 3 choices Selmar is looking the number 1 choice at the moment but i am really keen to hear any stories on them first? The other one is SandyBeach Centre in Sandringham. Am also close to Holmesglen Moorabbin but prefer to do it at a smaller college being in my late 20's.

Lorina

Re: Where to do my Cert III (VIC)

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Barbie,

Are you looking to do a certificate 3 in TAFE, private institute or correspondence? There are many ways to go about it... I'm from NSW so I'm not sure what the best place for you to study is but I'll see what info I can find!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Barbie,
My advice would be is to (if you want to study formally and not correspondence) go to the instituitions yourself and look around, talk to people in the department etc as though other people may rave about a place it may not be the right fit for you.
I find study a v.personal thing and little things like how places have answered the phone and responded to my questions etc have clinched the deal for me.
Good luck with finding a place and as LA said let us know what mode of study you are looking at and what kind of instituition and maybe we can help you

Barbie
Participator
Participator

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks guys i am going to do it at an institution i figure you have to do placement hours either way so it's kinda impossible to hold down a full time job even if doing it by correspondance.
Selmar have answered my e-mails instantaniously but the only thing i was a bit suspicious about was that they straight away talked of how to pay via credit card. I guess because the course starts soon.
The other college close to me doesn't know the dates for the next course yet so i presume Jan/Feb and if i do the Selmar one i guess i at least finish before other graduates do who would most likely start their courses in Jan/Feb then all be looking for jobs at the same time.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:12 pm

hi barbie,
"Thanks guys i am going to do it at an institution i figure you have to do placement hours either way so it's kinda impossible to hold down a full time job even if doing it by correspondance."

Have you thought of doing the certificate 3 via traineeship at work?

"Selmar have answered my e-mails instantaniously but the only thing i was a bit suspicious about was that they straight away talked of how to pay via credit card. I guess because the course starts soon."

now-a-days employees working on new course enrollments are sorta like sales people as well. What I mean is, they may get an incentive to enroll a student in their institution for a cert 3 course or diploma course. So its common when you are being told about fees payments via credit card and about enrolling on the course straight away etc..When you are looking for info, just make sure that you already have a list of questions prepared and you can just get back to them later once you get the info you need. So that way you can decide after researching different places. There are so many competitions out there and there are so many ways to do a certificate 3...you just need to find whats the best one for you.

wish you all the best!

joelpy

Post by joelpy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Try your local community centres. I am doing mine at Upper Beaconsfield and it is great. Just 1 night a week