Too much paperwork

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
chazzu35

Too much paperwork

Post by chazzu35 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:09 am

Hi, I have been in the childcare industry for 6years now. I feel that with the new EYLF programme I am spending more and more time at home finishing paperwork. I am begining to resent having to do this. I spend alot of my working time gathering the information needed but never enough time to complete it. How do other people manage their paperwork? Is there any simple solution to cut down the work I have to do at home?

Rebecca
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Re: Too much paperwork

Post by Rebecca » Thu May 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi, Im finding it the same way too, I spend all day gathering obs information and then after work I have to put them into the format. My head office at the moment has just compiled new ob formats (which are 2 pages long, need to have photos and captions) new daily and weekly evaluations (both 2 pages long) as well as 2 new types of documents which are used to record the childrens obs, we have to do all these plus the project books, story journals, scrapbook and all the other old documentation for the NCAC. Im kind of at a loss at the moment, I wouldnt mind using LA's documents as they seem much simpler, but I dont think my HO would be too pleased with me not using their typo.. Anyone have any Ideas how to cut back this work load?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Hey Guys,

Completely understand where you're all coming from regarding the paperwork. I absolutely REFUSE to take work home with me to complete it there. For some educators it feels as if it has gotten to a point where the management would prefer them to complete paperwork instead of interacting or supervising the kids.

I know it can be difficult managing all this paperwork. I'm surprised to hear that even while implementing the EYLF the workload is still the same or more. From my understanding I assumed the EYLF was going to provide us with a less complicated approach.

Anyways, when I first started out in this industry I was always taking work home to complete during the night. So instead of a 10 hour day of work I was actually doing 12 hours including the paperwork I had to complete. Over time I learnt how to complete any paperwork I had to do during the course of the day.

I just thought I'd share some tips I do to try and complete the necessary paperwork during the day.

Chazzu - you mentioned that you spend a lot of time gathering the information you needed. Now the best way to try and manage this is to spend less time gathering the information. Set yourself a limit and try and complete it by a specific time. I know at times it can be completely impossible but you need to try and arrange your time. For e.g. If you get an hour of time (while children are sleeping) spend 20 minutes gathering information, 20 minutes writing up observations, 20 minutes for learning stories (or whatever else you have to do).

Whether you're doing a weekly or daily program but always have the next weeks program (or next days) program available (close by) to write down activities or experiences ideas that you would like to implement the following week or next day. Try not to leave it to the end of the week. Even if you jot down 2-3 activities a day onto the next weeks program by the end of the week your program will be complete. Also if you're a room leader let your assistant add to the program as well. Another thing is don't worry about typing the program/observations up. Just hand write if it's a lot quicker.

Rebecca - Spending a whole day gathering observations is a complete waste of your time. I suggest to collect all the observations by morning tea, or by lunch time (at the latest). The during rest time you can complete the paperwork. When observing the kids just jot down a few points to help you remember the events that occurred. It's always a good idea to have a pen and some paper handy to make your jottings. Another idea is to get the other member of staff in your room to do observations as well. That way you can count down the number of observations you have to do during the day.

With the daily evaluation try and spend only 15 minutes doing it. You should be able to do it at the top of your head. You can just use point form to write down the daily evaluation. Try using bigger writing to take up more space...hehehehe… Another idea is to complete all the project books, scrap books etc. for the children you're observing on that specific day. Just try and focus on those particular children. Use your other team member in your room as well.. you don't need to do it all yourself. Like you do the observations, they do the story journals etc..

By the way thanks Rebecca, the documents I designed are much simpler because it doesn't need to be so complicated...

It's also a good idea to report this to head office/director. I'm sure they would like staff feedback so you should let them know that their format isn't working. I doubt you're the only few feeling this way. If the documentation isn't working then it needs to be changed.

Do any of you get programming time?

How many children do you all observe a day?

How many children in all your rooms?

I want to try and help you guys out,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

chazzu35

Post by chazzu35 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Its good to know I am not the only one struggling with the paperwork. I also feel that if I do the paperwork while the children are awake I can't interact with them. I do my paperwork while they are sleeping and do the obs from photo's I have taken during the day. I have to observe the children that interact in my room with the experiences to show the reasons why I have set them up. I plan daily it is part of the EYLF programme. I also have my focus children that I observe. I do daily reflections and also write in daily daires that a few children have due to behavioural issues. I get 2 hours planning time a week, most of this time is taken up by preparing activities for the next week as I have to write activity plans. I also evaluate the week I have, this is done by filling out questions and answers reflecting on the week. I also try and finish any paperwork I haven't done during the week. I have approached the director about having to take paperwork home and she basically said it is all part of the job. Everybody does it. If I got paid for the extra work, or got a better pay I wouldn't have a problem. I get paid less than my friend who is a waitress and never has to do work at home. I thought the EYLF program was supposed to help cut down paperwork but it has done the complete opposite.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 23, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi Chazzu,

Wow! What a load of work you have to do... completely not necessary if you are implementing the EYLF. However can I just say that a lot of big corporate centers have a great deal of paperwork for you to fill out. I guess this is because they are a big company, they need to make sure all the centers are of high standard and want everything the same. In the end it's us the childcare professional that has to put up with it. Not fair but that's how it is....

With the good comes the bad and unfortunately "paperwork and time" is the bad for us. I completely agree with you when you say that you have to interact in your room but it sounds like your director would prefer you to complete the paperwork.

You need to work out how to manage your time. Try doing all the children's observations in 1 or 2 days that most of the children are there. On one day work out your activity plans for the following week and then during the 2 hrs try and catch up with everything else. I'm sure you can get your room assistant to fill in the weekly evaluation. Try not to do everything yourself, you will get so stressed out!!

Listen I know at times that you feel like pulling your hair out and screaming but take 10 minutes at least out of the day and sit down and relax!! You will feel much better...

:geek;,
L.A

chazzu35

Post by chazzu35 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:28 am

Hi L.A, I work for a small centre, I just think that maybe the centre I work at is not quite sure how to implement the new EYLF programme. Rather than looking at ways to maintain high quality of care they are more interested in documenting everything so it appears we are practicing high quality care. There is no way I can do all this paperwork and still be able to spend anytime with the children. I guess I will just have to continue to take it home and look for another job, a centre that is more interested in high quality interactions with the children. I will try and spend 10minutes a day not getting frustrated and pulling my hair out. I am passionate about working with children, I love that everyday is different and I can honestly say I have never had a dull moment.

jacsta88

Post by jacsta88 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:10 pm

I work in a large centre that is part of a 'chain' as such.
It's a fantastic centre, unfortunately we have a LOT of paperwork. We haven't yet begun to implement the EYLF and once we have been trained we are looking at starting this in term 3. But i completely understand where you are coming from Chazzu! I run a 15 place 3-4 year old room and am by myself. I absolutely LOVE this age group but started to get quite stressed out due to a lot of factors incl paperwork/chn with challenging behaviours and other staff (relievers who were covering me and not really doing what i'd asked).
It took me many things from changing to a set shift and reduced hours to now being back on the rotating roster but dropping a day. Working 4 days a week has done wonders for my stress levels and I've learnt to not be so uptight and specific on how I want things to be, at the end of the day it doesn't matter. I do still get frustrated with the paperwork and when staff covering me haven't completed obs etc but i address this straight away and often find its just a misunderstanding.
However the challenging behaviours are another thing altogether... i have around 5 children who i have difficulties with, one we are currently going through the process of getting ISS funding for, which will be fantastic but the others can be a struggle too! I have all 5 in on Tues, 3 in on wed and 4 in on thurs and i struggle to understand how i can give my time adequately to all these children. I know 98% of my time i spent with these chn with challenging behaviours in attempt to both stop the behaviour and redirect the children but also to protect the other children from possible harm. Hence, I feel as though I miss out on time with the other children and i find sometime when their parents pick them up and ask how their day was... that i really dont know because ive been so focused on these other children.
I am struggling to find any current information on the new regulations that are coming in, including the new proposed ratio changes in victoria - however have heard several people say that the under 3's ratios will change in 2012 whilst the over 3's may not be changing until possibly 2015/2016?? I am sorry but i have worked in both a nursery alone with 5 chn and also with 2 other staff with up to 15 and have also worked in a toddler room with up to 15 and whilst it would be good to have an extra pair of hands i think that it is still manageable with 1:5... however we're expected to stay at 1:15 for over 3's for maybe another 4-5 years?
I know I've gone a bit off topic... sorry for that I just started typing and needed to vent!! :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is just a quick update to let you know that my article called "Managing Paperwork – How to deal with too much Paper Work" is now available on this site. This article will give you various techniques you can use to cut down on the time you spend in doing paper work everyday and how to manage your time in completing daily documentation. You can find this article in Resources, under Childcare Professionals or simply click here to read...

Alisona

Post by Alisona » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 pm

I also feel that there is too much paperwork. I have 2 groups of 20 children for 2.5 hours each day ie 40 children. I have an untrained assistant who is not confident doing observations or paperwork. I feel that I have the training and therefore it is my job to do the paperwork while she supports me in the classroom. Because I have 2 different groups, I should have 2 different programs to reflect each group. This also means 2 lots of reflections or daily diaries each day. Then there are the observations and learning stories for 40 children.
I haven't yet worked out the most efficient way to do all this or the best type of template to use. However, I feel like I can never get away from the paperwork - I do it after work, on weekends and during school holidays (when our centre closes). It really gets me down, and the rest of my life has to take second place to the paperwork. If anyone has any suggestions about how I should tackle this, I would love to hear them!
Another issue I have is that during an EYLF training session, I was led to believe that everything we plan or provide for the children has to be based on evidence that has been previously documented, that we have to be able to justify everything we do and have the documentary evidence to show. This creates so much extra pressure!!!! Has anyone else heard this? It seems like an unrealistic expectation that every little decision that is made has to be justified and documented.
I wonder if the people involved in formulating the EYLF have any idea of the amount of stress they have created. It doesn't lend itself to happy early childhood educators!

Alisona

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi Alisona,

Goodness me... that's so much you have to do all by yourself! No wonder your feeling this way... Listen I completely understand that you feel as a trained worker that you have to complete it all BUT honestly look at how much you end up doing. I strongly suggest to use your assistant in the room... fair enough she isn't trained although this doesn't mean she doesn't have to do observations. Maybe she can do a few and you can read over them into she gets her confidence up!

Regarding the program instead of using 2 separate programs for each group I'm sure you can use just the one. Just use a different colour for each of the groups you have, so you can tell the difference between each of the groups. This should cut down your time on having to do 2 programs each day!

Yes! Everything does need to be documented but their are ways to go about it. Such as adding input icons on the program, evidence through the learning stories and daily dairy. Mainly you need to make sure that you add basically everything you do with each group of children throughout the day onto the program... I agree with you, it is alot of pressure however once you confident enough well then it kind of comes naturally in your documentation...

The EYLF, having too much paperwork, is a cause for concern. I've said it many a times... I honestly believed that the EYLF was supposed to cut down our paperwork in half but it seems like it's doubled. Alot of us (childcare professionals) are struggling with the documentation but I am working on finding an easier way...

You are not alone, alot of us feel the same way,

L.A

tee

Post by tee » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi guys, i have a uni assignment I have to do about childcare and all the paperwork involved. Can anyone tell me specifically what you have to do on a daily basis, how much paperwork is there and how often you have to do it, or even just a weekly/daily schedule of a childcare worker

and is all the paperwork required by every child care worker...working from home and in centres? and what are the parents of the children in care saying about it?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 am

Hi Tee,

The amount of paperwork I think depends on the childcare centre you are working at. Although by reading through the posts in this topic, you can assume that alot of childcare centers are expecting their staff to complete more paperwork than expected. It is really ridiculous because the amount of time we spend doing paperwork the less time we spend interacting with the children. Ok here is a run down on what I have to do at my centre on a daily basis in regards to paperwork.

1) Opening Checklist
2) Fill out Child Daily Information Sheet (records if child ate, what time they slept etc).
3) Fill out Nappy Change Record (we change nappies 4 times per day we have to record if the child has a wet/soiled nappy)
4) Add experiences/ activities onto the program for the day (this is to be done on a daily basis).
5) Write up the Daily Evaluation (this is to be done on a daily basis).
6) Child Observations (normally I try and complete 2 to 3 each day but it could be more depending on the amount of children in the group).
7) Individual Child Programming and Planning Summary (using the info gathered from the observation and to be put in child portfolios).
8) Learning Stories
9) Child Portfolios
10) Equipment Cleaning Checklist
11) Closing Checklist

I think I covered almost all the paperwork that I am expected to do on a daily basis... Gosh after writing it, it does seem alot!!!

Do you work in a childcare centre? How do you do it there?

L.A

kyliemorc

Post by kyliemorc » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:44 am

I am having trouble keeping up with my paper work at the moment.. Some days it's great and some days it's really hard.. I take my work home on the weekends sometimes but still it doesn't all get done and i really hate doing work at home.. :thumbdown: I love my job but I really hate paperwork :sick:

The paper work that i complete on a daily basis is
- Nappy change/toileting records
- PLayground checklist
- Learning stories
- Observations ( I have 5 focus children for the week and i do at least 2 observations on each child a day)
- Running records
- Rest Time records
- Daily Evalautions
- Daily Programs ( i do daily programs)
On certian days i do a behaviour Management Record.
- Portfolios.

I'm the Group leader in my room and my Assistant only just retired, but before my assistant retired, i still done all of the paper work myself because my Assistanat had a learning difercantly and was unable to read or write but she was wonderful with the children, Now that she has retired i have a different staff memeber everyday and most of them have only started and dont completely understand the paper work so yeah it very hard somedays...

tee

Post by tee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi L.A wow that really does sound like a lot of work. Have any of the parents of the children said anything about the paperwork or does it not affect them ? No I don't work at a centre but I wanted to know how it all comes about, is it the same for those working from home?

tee

Post by tee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:20 pm

Also, before i forget haha, what is being done about it? or is it one of those things that they can't do much about

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:25 am

by tee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:20 pm
Also, before i forget haha, what is being done about it? or is it one of those things that they can't do much about

What can we do about it? This is how I see it, if the industry requires us to document and manage this much paperwork, then we have to do it even if we feel its too much. I have noticed heaps of people carrying on about the paperwork loads, etc..etc..I totally agree, I am not saying its not true..but this is a good question "What can we do about it?". So I just started to practice myself in doing the paperworks efficiently so I dont waste too much time whining about this..

You can read this article written by L.A that can give some ideas Managing Paperworks.

In my experience, this is the equation I worked out: Managing Paperworks = Managing Time. its that simple...

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:21 pm

On the note of paperwork I did What we did today sheets, food and sleep charts which were put out for the parents to read and how many of them actually read it, not many... the number of parents who asked me "did he/she have a sleep today then"
"freaking yeah ...LOOK AT THE CHART"!!!!! grrrr

We had two sets of programming to do as well as we did Montessori & non Montessori and had a Montessori checklist and a non Montessori one for childrens skills & development so a lot of stuff was double which meant i ended up taking shedloads of work home to complete which i was not fond of as i like to have work done at work and home time is home time

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:26 pm

Fefe - I agree with you in relation to parents asking about their child's day... we spend the time writing everything down and still the parents ask such obvious questions...I guess it's something for the parents to talk to us about rather then just picking and dropping of their child without saying anything...

I would also like to add that I find that out of all my families only about 5 look at the daily diary and none of them worry about the program! Maybe that's because Im in the toddler room and they aren't that concerned over what their children are learning?? The focus is more on self-help skills, language and toilet training!!!

Oh well... you gotta take the good with the bad...

L.A

lisa1980

Post by lisa1980 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:55 pm

Hi L.A
what do you mean by
7) Individual Child Programming and Planning Summary (using the info gathered from the observation and to be put in child portfolios)??? is that the Child Directed Observations we take?
Can you put up an example so we can have a look for us?

thanks

Lisa

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:36 am

tee wrote:Hi L.A wow that really does sound like a lot of work. Have any of the parents of the children said anything about the paperwork or does it not affect them ? No I don't work at a centre but I wanted to know how it all comes about, is it the same for those working from home?

Yes it is almost exactly the same for me and I work from home.