Use a scarf to encourage baby to sit, grasp and vocalise.
- Assortment of lightweight scarves of different colours and patterns.
What to do:
- Sit on the floor with baby sitting in front of you. Remember to provide pillows around baby if they aren’t able to sit unsupported as yet.
- Give baby the scarf to touch and feel. Hold the scarf up in front of baby’s face and encourage them to look through it to see you.
- Throw a scarf into the air and let it fall onto baby.
- Quickly remove the scarf if it falls on the baby’s head covering the face.
- Throw the scarf into the air again.
- Point to the scarf to encourage baby to look up.
- Encourage baby to “reach” or “catch” it as it floats into their arms.
Hints and Tips:
- Put on some music and throw and catch the scarves with your baby in time with the beat.
- Play peek-a-boo and cover your face with a scarf and let your baby pull it off.