June 8 is World Oceans Day. It's a day to celebrate the role of the oceans on Earth and to raise awareness to protect the ocean.
Here is a list of ideas to include on the curriculum to raise awareness of our oceans on Earth:
- Discuss the different sea creatures in the ocean.
- Create an ocean habitat
- Enjoy a variety of Ocean Craft Activities
- Discuss ocean pollution and examples of how it effects ocean life
- Talk about reducing plastic - how it hurts sea animals
- Take a virtual tour of Sydney Sea Life Aquarium
- Learn a variety of ocean songs and rhymes during group time
- Ocean Layers Of The Sea - Children will learn and discover the various layers of the ocean along with where marine animals live.
- Jellyfish In A Bottle - Children can create their own jellyfish and learn about these fascinating sea creatures.
- Ocean Waves In A Bottle - Move the bottle to create ocean waves, just like out in the deep blue sea.
- Oil Spills In The Ocean - Teach children about how oil spills happen, their effects on ocean habitats, and how difficult they are to clean up.
- Children can watch Octonauts - World Ocean Day to learn more.
For more information: World Ocean Day