Working while studying, before placement

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
StudyingGirl

Working while studying, before placement

Post by StudyingGirl » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi there,

I'm currently doing my unit 4 in my Diploma of Early Childhood Education, I'm doing it online and I'm giving it my all so I can have as many units as possible before January comes (my daughter is starting kindy and I'd like to get a job)

My question is, I know I can work while I'm completing my diploma as it's physically impossible for me to finish the 28 units required by January, but I need to do my placement (240 hours) and I don't know how it goes there in terms of salary, I don't expect to get pay for doing my practice hours (or should I?) but what happens when you're already working for the company?

I apologise if it sounds silly! This would be my first job in Australia and I'm still getting used to the fact that we can work while we study (how great is that?)

Oh, I don't hold a Cert III, I'm virtually starting from 0

Thank you very much for your time

:thumbup:

Lorina

Re: Working while studying, before placement

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:31 pm

When doing placement you will not be paid since this is part of your studies and it's training you for when you do work in a service.

If you're already working in a service and you need to do placement you can get some of the tasks marked off which you have already completed while working.. for those that you need to complete you have to talk to the director and see if they allow you to do it at work itself. Most Directors allow you to...

Since you kno you can start looking for a job since you are actively working towards your qualification and meet these requirements:

Actively Working Towards A Qualification

If it's possible try and complete the Cert 3 units by January so this enables you to be a Cert 3 qualified educator as you move onto the Diploma portion... Also with work placement I would recommend trying to find a service now itself for January or when you're ready to start because I've read on the forum itself it may take time to find a service for work placement...

Good Luck!

:geek:,
Lorina

StudyingGirl

Post by StudyingGirl » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:29 pm

Lorina wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:31 pm
When doing placement you will not be paid since this is part of your studies and it's training you for when you do work in a service.

If you're already working in a service and you need to do placement you can get some of the tasks marked off which you have already completed while working.. for those that you need to complete you have to talk to the director and see if they allow you to do it at work itself. Most Directors allow you to...

Since you kno you can start looking for a job since you are actively working towards your qualification and meet these requirements:

Actively Working Towards A Qualification

If it's possible try and complete the Cert 3 units by January so this enables you to be a Cert 3 qualified educator as you move onto the Diploma portion... Also with work placement I would recommend trying to find a service now itself for January or when you're ready to start because I've read on the forum itself it may take time to find a service for work placement...

Good Luck!

Lorina

Thank you so much Lorina, that was very very helpful, I'll try and achieve that soon!

Take care and congratulations on the new baby :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 pm

You're most welcome!

And thank you bubs is keeping me extra busy !

Lorina

StudyingGirl

Post by StudyingGirl » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Lorina wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 pm
You're most welcome!

And thank you bubs is keeping me extra busy !

Lorina
Oh I remember those days like yesterday, but hey I'm sure you're doing a great job! <3

I don't want to bother you about the same subject again but I can't sleep thinking about it! Considering that I'm starting from 0 straight to diploma, am I allowed to work if I don't manage to finish the first 18 units that cover the cert111? I'm planning to start working in January/February but I don't know if I'm going to manage the rest of my units on time. Thank you and sorry for being so insisting! :)

ClaireR.

Post by ClaireR. » Fri May 15, 2020 3:42 pm

Thank you for sharing!