Meet The Shapes

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
star-little
Participator
Participator

Meet The Shapes

Post by star-little » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Shapes are used to define an object and help identify it. 2 years old is a great age for teaching shapes. Start by teaching the basic shapes (square, circle, rectangle, triangle), then continue to more advanced shapes (oval, star, heart, diamond). Discover shapes:
https://learning.covoji.com/math-zone/meet-the-shapes/

When kids explore different shapes, they are using one of the most basic educational processes: the observation of same and different. This concept provides them with a basic process that she will be able to use in observing, comparing and discussing all they sees and encounters. As children learn to identify shapes, they can sort and classify objects in around them based on these attributes. Shape matching is a simple engaging shape activity for preschoolers that helps them learn and remember. Teach them the vocabulary to describe shapes.

Shapes.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NicholasG

Re: Meet The Shapes

Post by NicholasG » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:43 pm

The children I work with love shapes! We do shape treasure hunts. One thing that surprised me is that a lot of children in my area didn't know what an oval was, weird as we have a lot of football ovals (with 'Oval' in their names) and a lot of the children either play or watch footy.

star-little
Participator
Participator

Post by star-little » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Explain to kids oval is look like egg.

topazann

Post by topazann » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:34 pm

Great ideas. You might also try adding songs. I have used several “shapes” songs on YouTube to teach my little ones shapes. Their current favorite is “Learn shapes with Delmore the Donkey”.

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nandy84 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:16 pm

Children learn shapes at the very first of their ages. Learning shapes are very important to identify and also to have knowledge and understanding of differences among the things, and to organise visual information.

Learning shapes helps children to learn different skills like reading, and writing and also gives a visual understanding of different subjects like math, science, etc.

In the early stage of a child’s life, they understand numbers and letters by recognizing their shape.
So, the introduction of shapes to children is very essential.

Thanks

Nandita