Counting with toddlers -- early learning in math

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
star-little
Participator
Participator

Counting with toddlers -- early learning in math

Post by star-little » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:44 pm

Numbers and counting are a crucial part of your child's growing mathematical understanding. Counting is learned when toddlers:
• Start to recognize how many objects are in a small set without counting.
• Knowing the "number words" from one to ten and their order.
• Know the sequence regardless of which number they start on. So if you say "start counting at four" they will count "four, five . ."
• Able to count visible objects. If your child counts six oranges 1,2,3,4,5,6 and then you ask "how many oranges are there"? and they know the answer.

At home, you can continue to look for simple opportunities to extend their understanding of numbers and counting in everyday activities. Here is some number activity to help kids practice counting:
1. Teach your kids to count marshmallows while making a cup of hot chocolate.
2. Give them a list of various things around your home – windows, tables, chairs, etc.
3. Count the circles of caterpillar,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Counting with toddlers -- early learning in math

Post by Nandy84 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:57 pm

Hello,

Hands-on learning is by far the best way for kids to learn their numbers because they can manipulate an object themselves. But you can't just count out loud to your toddler and expect them to recognize numbers. Playing with toys allows them to see, touch, and help them understand what each number means.
Introducing numbers to preschoolers
One: Make numbers a work of art. One of the early ways to get kids thinking numbers in a creative way is to get them painting. ...
Two: Connect the dots.
Three: Tidy up by numbers.
Four: Number your neighbourhood.
Five: Sing songs with numbers.
Six: Draw by numbers.

Between 3 and 4 years of age, she'll also be more adept at counting small sets of objects — "two oranges, four straws" and so on. Most children are not able to identify numerals or write them, though, until they're 4 or 5. But always remember every child is different and learn at their own pace.

Counting is learned when the toddler starts making the connection between this innate sense of "how many there are" and the language we use to count "one, two, buckle my shoe". This is the first stage in learning maths and it's the building block for many early concepts.

The more experience children have with counting, the more they will learn the meaning of numbers. Understanding the meaning of numbers takes experience with counting lots of things, and you can help by giving your child this experience regularly.

Thank you

Nandita

PaulDeezer

Post by PaulDeezer » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:25 pm

It is so important to teach your kids to learn from a young age. They receive the information faster and understand it better. I always try to encourage my children to learn something new every day.

PaulDeezer

Post by PaulDeezer » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:15 pm

PaulDeezer wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:25 pm
It is so important to teach your kids to learn from a young age. They receive the information faster and understand it better. I always try to encourage my children to learn something new every day. We didn't have problems with history or English, but math was a painful subject. They hated it. The main reason was that they didn't understand it. As an accountant, I wanted to show them that working with numbers isn't so hard. On the weekends, I encouraged them to solve tasks from worksheetsgo.com . At first, they didn't want to hear about it, but when I took their phones, their attitude changed xd. I am sure that if you instill a love for learning in kids from a young age, they'll do better and better when they grow.