non - contact in the room supervising rest time?

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
beckytnumber9

non - contact in the room supervising rest time?

Post by beckytnumber9 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 am

Hi just considering taking on a new position with a small family owned service that I interviewed with today.
I asked the director how they catered for non-contact / programming time in the service. We casually discussed this was being done during rest time and she mentioned that it gets done during rest time whilst supervising the children which would give ample time considering that most sleep at the moment. Although after looking at the award on this site it states Teachers (which I am and would be employed as) should not be supervising children whilst on non-contact for the purposes of planning/programming. The amount of time I will get to plan is around 90 minutes each day and as I will be working for three days this would be four and a half hours. Considering I would be only working 20 to 22 hours a week I am happy with this provision so long as children do in fact require sleep.
I don't agree with forcing a child to sleep just because it's a convenient time to do paperwork.

My question is how do I make sure I look after my needs to attend to paperwork as well as supervise the children?
Has anyone had this experience at work?

My thought is to see how the first couple of weeks go and keep a record of the amount of time I spend settling children to sleep and how long I actually have to plan so I have a record of how it is working and what issues need looking into does this seem fair?

Kindest Regards

Bec

Lorina

Re: non - contact in the room supervising rest time?

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:36 am

Hi Bec,

I have read your question and I will get back to you tomorrow... currently away and having bad internet connection...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: non - contact in the room supervising rest time?

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi!

Ok first off you should not be doing "non-contact" time when the children are sleeping. Even if all children are sleeping it's unfair to consider this as your programming and planning time. You should be given time off the floor, regardless of children sleeping or not to complete your documentation and planning. One option is, during the children's sleep time another Educator can cover you so you can complete your programming time without having to supervise the children as well. Since the children all sleep, it shouldn't be a problem for the Educator covering you during that time, so you get your complete 90 mins to complete your documentation.

Maybe you can consider this an alternate option...

:geek:,
Lorina