what do you think of dishonesty in staff at a child care centr?

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Bevstribe

what do you think of dishonesty in staff at a child care centr?

Post by Bevstribe » Wed May 21, 2014 8:04 pm

what do others think about staff children being on premises without being paid for? and I mean not just for a little while but everyday , day in day out morning and afternoons and all holidays , and they are allowed to walk into any room throughout the centre , and interact with all age groups of children, sometimes causing chaos and being disruptive . what do you do when the director lets them do this ? do you tell the company ? are we responsible if that child hurts another or if that child get hurt ? there are lots I can ask , what do others think??
Last edited by Lorina on Tue May 27, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic has been moved from General Discussions forum

Lorina

Re: what do you think of dishonesty in staff at a child care centr?

Post by Lorina » Wed May 21, 2014 8:19 pm

I think that if a staff's child was present at the centre then there would have to be limitations to that child...

How old is the child?

The child should not be disruptive to the educators or children because you have a job to do and since this child is not covered within the regulations then it's not your responsibility at all. They shouldn't be in your room or with the children. If the child has an accident since they are not legally covered by the centre then it can cause lots of problems.

I understand that at times it may be hard and the staff member has no choice but to bring their child to work but they need to be responsible for their child. Parent should sit the child down away from everyone else (staff room) and give them something to do... You should let the director know that it's disrupting your room environment which is causing concern and an alternative arrangement needs to be made. If the director fails to comply then report it to the company. You have a duty of care to the children in your room that you are responsible for..not watching someone else's child...

Hope you can sort this issue out,

:geek:,
L.A

MarkPowter
Participator
Participator

Post by MarkPowter » Wed May 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Hello Bevstribe!

Great questions you have asked and I am sure many people have experienced similar things. You have asked a few things so I will try to give you a response for them all :)

Staff's children attending - This is 100% up to the company. Some centres will allow this and there is no problem while others do not. At the end of the day, it comes down to the centre, the director and the policies of the centre. Your best bet would be to consult your policies handbook and if you feel it is causing issues within your room, speak with your supervisor outlining the issues.

Staff's children within the centre - Again, this comes back to the centres policies BUT I believe if they are attending, they follow the rules that every other child does. They stay in their room, they follow the rules and they are just like every other child in that they face punishment if they can't behave.

What to do! - You mentioned the director lets them do this, and at the end of the day it is their choice BUT you can bring to the attention of the director the direct effect on the other child and the staff. If the child is in the room, by law they are required to be signed in and out and therefore count within ratio. As such, they follow the same rules and procedures. If they hurt another child, it is your responsibility to deal with it as if it was any other child.

Overall the situation seems normal BUT there seems to be a lot of lenience within what is allowed to happen and what is not. Best take it up with your director and outline your concerns.

Bevstribe

Post by Bevstribe » Thu May 22, 2014 7:12 am

I would like to tell you now of the circumstances I find myself under, whilst taking obs , the child in question appeared in the background of the photos and I got berated and accused of trying to get staff member into trouble as i was informed he isn't enrolled or counted when we do our numbers, so i had not only the director but 2 other members attack with accusations, so i have taken off stress leave and this berating went on for 45 minutes and then they attacked me again in the staff room, sadly this centre has had bullying issues for the last 6 yrs and i thought the new company would stop all this , and to make it even more stranger this is not the only child on the sd card that isn't enrolled and comes in regularly that happens to be in photos, but yet this child was never brought up, i now find myself not only being bullied , harassed and intimidated by the staff but now the company wont let me take my own personal processions out of the centre, they cant prove the items are not mine as they don't have receipts but i can prove most of the stuff is mine as i have recepts but still they don't want me to remove my items and now the items are being destroyed as some staff are telling me what the others including the director is doing.
what would others do in this situation? stick up for the parents who pay top dollar for their children to come there? or just keep taking the bullying? and to make matter worse this child was involved in a serious incident involving other children that in the end could of caused real harm if it wasn't stopped, at the centre and when i asked to do the incident report i got told not too? again how would you handle this . oh and i just got told the company didn't know this child was there either.
but thanks for the advice so far ...

MarkPowter
Participator
Participator

Post by MarkPowter » Thu May 22, 2014 7:42 am

I think this is a matter than you need to take further. If there is abuse and harassment going on, you need to contact Fair Work. Same with the damage to your possessions.

As for the child involved, I would speak with the management committee who is usually the next step above the director and have them deal with it.

Sorry to say but I think it is time to find a new centre.

Bevstribe

Post by Bevstribe » Thu May 22, 2014 12:33 pm

I am unable to do much at the moment as I can not leave the house due to anxiety and stress , and my children are now responsible for the medication that the doctor is giving me , work cover is involved ,and so is fair work as I could see from the meeting with HR they are going to cover their tracks as anyone who works in child care knows we are all under a legislation and we all should follow the rules , but I guess we all want to earn a living and pay for our bills , so its like do I just keep putting up with this or do I take a stand, so I decided to take the stand. it appears that its a situation that no one wins , as after three weeks I was finally allowed to get my belongings and most of them have been removed or they claim it as theres , so I want to let everyone know that if you have belongings that you have taken into the center make sure you clearly lable them.
I am now looking into hiring a lawyer and finding out where do I take this too , as I have proof that they are lying. sad to think that all my life I have worked with children and for it to come to this is awful, just proves that people should be careful and really look into the centre that they leave their children with each and everyday.

MarkPowter
Participator
Participator

Post by MarkPowter » Thu May 22, 2014 10:11 pm

I wish you the best of luck and hope things can be sorted out for you. Hopefully Fair Work and Work Cover can assist you :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 23, 2014 4:14 am

I am so sad to hear about what you are going through at the moment! Unfortunately I've also read similar stories in this forum itself on people getting bullied and harassed by others at work. It's especially common when the director and staff are friends, they will go up against someone that one of them don't like. It's bloody ridiculous, cruel and unethical and all this happens while working with children... It's a very tough job not only with the children but with the staff themselves. If you're new you get told your'e not doing enough, if you're experienced you get told you're doing it wrong, if you're good others are intimidated by you. No matter what it is, if someone doesn't like for whatever reason then you are going to pay for it emotionally! Women are such bi*****!!

You're doing the right thing by standing up for what you believe in!

Be strong,

:geek:,
L.A