Scenario: Kirra - Strategies For Effective Supervision

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
mamamary2011

Scenario: Kirra - Strategies For Effective Supervision

Post by mamamary2011 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Can anybody help me on this scenarion please. Any ideas will be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Kirra, a diploma student, has set up an outdoor obstacle course for the three to four year olds. She has also placed plastic wild animal figures, palm fronds and some plastic bowls in the sandpit. Kirra is responsible for monitor and supporting both experiences during outdoor play. Kirra gets the children started on the obstacle course and then goes to join the children in the sandpit so that she can record an observation and a narrative of their play. Kirra sits on the side of the sandpit at right angle to the obstacle course. At first Kirra goes back and forth between the two areas but later become engrossed in her observation of the play on the sandpit. kirra does not notice that the children have rearranged the walking board and tunnel. Unfortunately the walking board is not place securely onto the climbing frame - when the children start to walk on the board it slips and falls. Two children fall backwards. One is winded and the other bumps her head on the climbing frame. Kirra jumps up when she hears the crash. Later that morning Kirra is asked by her supervisor to explain why she did not notice the children moving the equipment. She then asks Kirra to explain the principles of effective supervision.

1. What supervision strategies should Kirra have been applaying?
2. What information should Kirra be able to provide about effective supervision
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Educater
Participator
Participator

Re: Scenario: Kirra - Strategies For Effective Supervision

Post by Educater » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:11 am

1. What supervision strategies should Kirra have been applaying?
The supervision strategies that Kirra should have been applying are:
-Kirra should have planned the activities and how she should supervise both activities
-Kirra should have condier the potential risks in the environment
-Kirra should have position herself at a point from where she can keep an eye and supervise both activities
-kirra should have kept in mind where supervision is highly required

2. What information should Kirra be able to provide about effective supervision?
-ensuring that children are supervised at all time
-using spervision skills to reduce or prevent injury
-provisiding consistent supervision
-considering the design and arrangements of children environment to support active supervision
-supervision is process of directing, controlling, planning, listening, watching and guiding children to ensure their safety

i hope this answered your questions
may i ask from where u r doing your diploma
what state and country u r in and which training u r undertakin...?
i am also doing diploma at the moment

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Just a few things that may help you work through and answer this question.Hope it helps. It's a fairly straightforward question... I am doing my Diploma too and my tutor gave me some good advice when I was fretting and writing heaps and heaps in my answers, she said, keep it concise and too the point & do not over-think & over-complicate ... what u can answer in bullet points do as it makes it easier for the assessor to read and understand
Good Luck

Principles of active supervision
Supervision is one of the most important caregiving strategies and skills required by staff/carers to develop and master. Active supervision is a combination of listening to and watching children play, being aware of the environment and its potential risks, the weather conditions, the time of day, managing small and large groups of children, and an understanding of child development including theories about how children play.

It is also crucial that staff/carers are aware of the different ages, personalities, behaviours and characteristics of the children in their care. How children interact, communicate and play with one another is dependent on staff/carers building relationships with children to learn about who they are, how they react in certain situations and discover their interests. These are vital skills to develop as they assist staff to predict children’s play patterns, which affects how staff/carers plan and establish environments and coordinate supervision strategies to maximise children’s safety and ability to play free from harm or injury.
Scanning the environment
• Brief and concise detail of the service’s strategy.
• Services should consider the following reflective questions:
o Why is scanning important and are there times when scanning is a timed event? For example, the regular scanning of children sleeping, especially babies in cot rooms; or the regular checking of older children in outside school hours care who may not be directly supervised.

Listening when children play
o Why is listening important and what sounds alert staff/carers to potential risks? For example, water splashing; crying; choking or gasping; offensive or aggressive language; or silence.

Knowledge of the environment and its potential risks
• Services can link this section by stating:
Please refer to the service’s Maintenance of Buildings and Equipment Policy.
Please refer to the service’s Occupational Health and Safety Policy.

Setting up the environment
• Services can state how the placement of equipment and play and learning experiences affects active supervision strategies.
• Services can link this section by stating:
Please refer to the service’s Maintenance of Buildings and Equipment Policy.

Knowledge of the children in care and understanding how groups of children interact and play together
o How does staff/carers’ knowledge of children affect active supervision?
o How do staff/carers anticipate children’s play behaviours?
o How do behaviour guidance strategies affect active supervision of individual or groups of children?
o How does monitoring children’s health, including symptoms of illness, affect the active supervision of children?

mamamary2011

Post by mamamary2011 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks a lot Fefe and Nida for sharing good ideas for this topic. Im doing my diploma in TAFE Tasmania.
More power for both of you.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Good luck with it all
I RPLed 14 of my Diploma units so I was lucky ... its so much easier when they verbally as you questions opposed to having to do all these assignments as sometimes ive noticed the way they word things makes things sound so much more complex than they actually are!